Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

home theater set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
home theater set up

hey guys, i was wondering what would be a nice and comfortable set up for my parents living room. i dont have any pix, but i'll try to describe it as much as possible. lets see...

its a rectangular shape, however the ceiling is at a 45 angle. the lowest part of the ceiling is about 9ft. if you divide the the room into quandrants looking at a birdeye view. lets say quad1 is where the tv is. quad2 is where the long corner couch is, (the L type). quadrants 3 and 4 is what we consider the back of the living room. quad 1 and 4 is the long way and 1and 2 is the short part. now, quad 3 and 4 is the back, and behind is a separation to the front door, so there is technically no wall. behind the guard rail is about 8ft of space where the front door is... now hopefully this info was crude enough for you pro's out there to help me out on what type of system setup i would consider... thnx a lot

ps quad 1 and 4 is the lower part of the ceiling (9ft.)
Old 06-24-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking.

Are you looking for equipment recommendations? If so what is the budget, any equipment currently to be reused?

If you are looking for set up suggestions for the equipment the best I could do without a drawing is that you need to remember that you are trying to make a box with the speakers to create a soundfield. If necessary the rear speakers could go on stands behind the seating position.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-02, 10:01 AM

umm as far as budget, i'd like to keep it under 3k....
Old 06-24-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Mole177
umm as far as budget, i'd like to keep it under 3k....
3K for what? TV, speakers, receiver and DVD player?
Old 06-24-02, 03:58 PM

ohhh okok, there is a 36 tv, soon to be 40 plasma... ummm the budget totally goes for reciever and speakers.
Old 06-24-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a nice budget. You have many excellent options. If it was my money, here is what I would buy.

A/V Receiver:
Onkyo SR-700 or Denon 3802 Both about $750

6.1 set of Speakers:
PSB Image 5T $600 a pair (fronts)
PSB Image 2B $300 a pair (rears)
PSB Image 9C $600 for two (one front center, one rear center)
PSB Subsonic 6 $500 each (sub)

Check out the speakers at www.psbspeakers.com

Total Street Price about $2750. That leaves enough for speaker cable and speaker stands.

Note that the fronts are towers which I recommend if they can fit them.
Old 06-25-02, 10:33 AM

i was just wonderin... due to the spacious living room space, are those recievers able to support 4-6 wall mounted spakers along with the 6.1 setup? the wall mount speakers are smaller and carry some sound but would it be worth it?

if the recievers are able to handle those, then the wall speakers would approximately be 9ft above the floor... the long way of the rectangular room from Tv to the back couch is about 25-30ft

another thing, i was at home depot yesterday in the wire dept, i came across a wire as thick as monster. i THINK it was 8ga. would there still be a difference b/w the non name brand vs moonster?

Last edited by Mole177; 06-25-02 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-25-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you want to have 11-13 total speakers?! Wow. No receiver I have ever seen can power that many channels. Any reason you want them? If your parents are anything like most parents then they won't come close to pushing the 6.1 setup to its limits.

As for speaker cable I recommend buying bulk 12ga speaker wire online.

Something like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2792&DID=7
Old 06-27-02, 11:12 PM

well the main speaker (6.1) for sure, but as far as the smaller wall speakers goes, i'd be happy with the 20w type....jus for that area of sound, since the living room is spacious, im sure that sound wont be to its full potential since the sound will leak...