Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can anybody recommendany godd but reasonable priced home surround systems?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-10-02, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen some very impressive and very expensive home theatre systems at this site. I'm just looking for a good surround sound receiver and 5 or 6 piece speaker set up ( I've got a good DVD player and TV) that 's affordable... Any suggestions??
Old 06-10-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're going to have to define "affordable."
Old 06-10-02, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would look for a minimum 500 watt 5 channel amplifier, a decent sized powerd sub (150w+ 10in+ woofer). Make sure your amp/tuner has both dolby digital 5.1 and dts decoding onboard. It will make life easier later when that dvd you really want is only released in one or the other. Get some decent speakers too. You can find nice surround packages but I would prefer larger full range front speakers and a nice separate center channel. You can easily put together a decent sounding system for 500 dollars that will work much better than any 'home theater in a box' deal. Just look for closeouts before the new model years start and you can save big time. Thats about minimum price for a low end system that covers all the basics. Anything less and you are looking at one of the 'box' systems that have limited capabilities.

-K
Old 06-11-02, 06:52 PM

I guess I was thinking of the five to six hundred dollar range. Kevlar that is a very good idea. I never thought of just buying outside the norm. Hmmm.
Old 06-13-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a good HTIB for around $500 is the Kenwood system.

the problem with shopping for seperates is to get speakers that are timbre matched all the way around and to be able to get a combination of speakers and reciever that mate well.
thats going to be quite a quest on that kind of budget (but not impossible).
the Kenwood system is far from perfect, but gets your foot in the door for that price range.
if you have a true audiophiles ear (i'm geared more towards the display end than the audio end) and infinite patience, seperates sounds like the way to go.
Old 06-13-02, 09:34 PM

Thanks Ckolchak!!
That's a good piont as well. I've always heard Kenwood were good ( at least for car stereos) I'll certainly have to search around a little more..