Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do I need 5.1/DTS/DD decoder on DVD player?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-04-02, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm mainly concerned about audio quality. I have a new Toshiba 32" flat screen (no HDTV = no progressive scan DVD). Do I need 5.1/DTS/DD decoder on DVD player If I already have a A/V receiver that has all those capabilities? Some DVD player have that decoder built-in and I have a Denon AVR-681 receiver and I think it can do all that on its own. I want to get an affordable DVD player (
Old 06-05-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your receiver has DD & DTS decoder built in you would be wasting money getting a DVD player with it built-in as well! And in almost every case the decoder in the receiver is superior to what is in the DVD player.
Old 06-05-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your receiver does have built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding so no, you do not need the decoders built into the DVD player. You'll use the optical connection (although I prefer coax if your receiver supports it, but that's another discussion.

Also, I've go for the Sony player way before the Philips.
Old 06-07-02, 11:03 PM

What about the other way around? What if u have dd and dts decoding in yer dvd player but only a dolby pro logic receiver?
Old 06-07-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nico95
What about the other way around? What if u have dd and dts decoding in yer dvd player but only a dolby pro logic receiver?
You would need 5.1 inputs on your receiver. A Pro-Logic receiver with 5.1 inputs is/was typically marketed as a "Dolby Digital-Ready" receiver, for just this reason.
Old 06-07-02, 11:41 PM

Thank you for your reply steve. I'm still learning, so can u help me out one more time?

My DPL receiver does have 5.1 inputs. This is where I have my speaker wire running into. Right now I dont have a center channel speaker...just L/R, rears, and sub. I have an audio cable running from the dvd player "audio out" to the receiver's "audio in".

Now am i understanding you correctly? Are u saying that since my speakers are hooked up to the 5.1 inputs on the DPL receiver, that i can get dd and dts? It seems when I play a movie, i dont get different sounds coming out of different speakers at the same time. I end up getting the same sound coming from all speakers at once.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-08-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

receiver does have 5.1 inputs. This is where I have my speaker wire running into...I have an audio cable running from the dvd player "audio out" to the receiver's "audio in".

5.1 inputs are not for speaker wire connections. They are for decoded analog multi-channel outputs from a dvd player that is capable of doing this decoding.

It seems to me that you either do not have 5.1 inputs on your receiver, or at least are not using them in your current configuration.

Now am i understanding you correctly? Are u saying that since my speakers are hooked up to the 5.1 inputs on the DPL receiver, that i can get dd and dts? It seems when I play a movie, i dont get different sounds coming out of different speakers at the same time. I end up getting the same sound coming from all speakers at once.
I hope what I said above makes sense.

You need 3 things in place to have 5.1 decoding done by your dvd player:

1) decoding done by the dvd player (dvd players that decode 5.1 will have 6 analog audio outputs labeled something like: front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, subwoofer)

2) 5.1 analog (RCA-type) inputs on your receiver

3) 6 RCA-type audio interconnects running between your dvd player and receiver
Old 06-08-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
You would need 5.1 inputs on your receiver. A Pro-Logic receiver with 5.1 inputs is/was typically marketed as a "Dolby Digital-Ready" receiver, for just this reason.
Unfortunately, this is my setup. I have a "Dolby Digital Ready" Aiwa system that I got oh-so-cheap at Sam's Club (literally it was $175, and it was a full surround system...so I figured what the hell for now). It actually puts out good sound, and is more than enough for the small room I'm in until I move out of my parents house (soon). I think I'm picking up a set of Energy Take 5.2 with the S8 sub and a Denon AVR-1802 or 2802 soon. I'm lucky that the DVD player I own (Panasonic RV-65) has Dolby Digital decoding on board...

ANyways, it sounds pretty F'in good for a total of $350 invested in both the player and system...(I got the Pana on clearence at Sears, 50% off when my old Pana started to get jumpy). I just can't wait for the DTS that the Denon pumps out and the crisp clean energy speakers sound...