Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I sell this, or upgrade, or what?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's the deal. I've got a somewhat decent Technics component system that I've had since around '94 I think. It's got Dolby Pro Logic support but that seems to be about all it can do. It's not horrible, but it's not really that great either.

What I'd like to find out is, how much would it cost to upgrade what I have to support DD 5.1/6.1 and DTS, or is it even possible to do that? What would I need to buy? Or, would I be better off just selling what I have and buying something new, and how much could I expect to get for it? Here's what I have.

Technics ST-K50 AM/FM Stereo Tuner
Technics SU-G91 Stereo Integrated Amplifier
Technics SH-8017 Stereo Graphic Equalizer
Technics RS-TR210 Double Cassette Deck
Technics SL-PD845 5-Disc Compact Disc Changer

5 Technics speakers, two side, one center front and two rear.

If I upgrade this thing, I'd be looking to keep the same brand name, just to make everything look similar. I think it'd just be ugly to have Technics here, Sony there, Panasonic here, etc. Is Technics even a decent brand now? How is there new equipment?

What should I do??
Old 06-06-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO it is not worth upgrading. These are my opinions only.

There are stand alone processors but a new receiver would be a better bet.

Try to sell what you have or relegate it to another room. I do not know anyone who still has/uses an equalizer as most newer receivers either have one built in or you would not want to try and alter dsp settings.

The amp might be worth keeping but you have listed no specs.

The cassette deck is up to you. I can't remember the last time I even touched a cassette.

If you like the speakers you might want to hang onto them and test them with some new equipment.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-02, 01:34 PM

Hmm, well ok Brian. I was kind of thinking going that route, I just thought maybe upgrading might be cheaper overall. What would be some good components to look at? I'm trying to get the best overall sound I can, but I'm not looking to spend a fortune on it (read: no more than $1000 roughly).

And if I were to sell it, how much would I expect to get for it?
Old 06-06-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by crazypetedotcom
Hmm, well ok Brian. I was kind of thinking going that route, I just thought maybe upgrading might be cheaper overall. What would be some good components to look at? I'm trying to get the best overall sound I can, but I'm not looking to spend a fortune on it (read: no more than $1000 roughly).

And if I were to sell it, how much would I expect to get for it?
I hate to try and put a price on the items, frankly I do not think they are worth much and probably not what you want to get for them.

At this point nearly all the name manufacturers have decent entry level equipment, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Onkyo, Yamaha and even Denon.

What are you looking to get, a receiver and a dvd player?
Old 06-06-02, 01:47 PM

Well I've got a DVD player already, a Toshiba SD-3750, I just want to have something with really great sound. Basically I'm trying to make my home theater the center of the home entertainment, so I'd like to have really good sound and whatnot. I'm focusing on upgrading the sound now, then the TV.
Old 06-06-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you basically just need the receiver?

Here are some links with info, might not hurt to visit some audio/video retailers in your area as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=4&s=0&g=10420

http://www.onecall.com/About.mpt?Sho...7&SubLineID=51

Personally I have owned Sony ES receivers (two) and a Yamaha Receiver. I also like Denon products.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-02, 02:11 PM

Thanks, Brian. I'll take a look at those links and read up on some more stuff. Can you tell it's been a while since I've upgraded?

On a second note, what's the general consensus on all-in-one systems, like the Sony DAV-S500 DVD Home Theater System. Are they pieces of crap? Do they sound alright? Would I be better off just getting a receiver and going from there?
Old 06-06-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On a second note, what's the general consensus on all-in-one systems, like the Sony DAV-S500 DVD Home Theater System. Are they pieces of crap? Do they sound alright? Would I be better off just getting a receiver and going from there?
IMHO since you already have speakers you should try to use them. The HTIB's are great for someone who has nothing and wants to get started easily and quickly. I think for the money they are a good value.

Personally I would not own one as I would like to pick out components myself especially speakers.
Old 06-07-02, 08:27 AM

Anyone else? Just trying to get as much input on this as I can, no offense Brian.
Old 06-07-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else? Just trying to get as much input on this as I can, no offense Brian.
None taken

Get all the advice you can!
Old 06-07-02, 08:35 AM

I had a prologic receiver since 1994 too, and just last year got a sony dts receiver for $269...WOW! A world of difference.

I thought about the upgrading, but thought that the decoder would be just another component, and instead got the new receiver and put the prologic in the bedroom and got mini stereo speakers for that. That worked out nicely for me.

It's been 8 years. Give it to yourself as a present
Old 06-07-02, 10:08 AM

Alright well I'm probably going to go that route, but is that all I need? A DVD player, a DTS/DD receiver and a TV, and speakers? Nothing else?

Just seems like something would be missing from that picture, but perhaps not.
Old 06-07-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright well I'm probably going to go that route, but is that all I need? A DVD player, a DTS/DD receiver and a TV, and speakers? Nothing else?

Just seems like something would be missing from that picture, but perhaps not.
A subwoofer looks like the only thing you do not have. Nothing else needed except maybe other video sources, cable or dss. You could also connect an old vcr if you have one!
Old 06-07-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could upgrade for under $1000 easily.

Look at a nice mid-end receiver like the Onkyo SR-600, Denon 1802, or the Outlaw Audio 1050 in the $400-500 range. I would avoid Technics unless you are willing to sacrifice audio quality and build quality in order to have components match.

Then add an active subwoofer. Brands like PSB, Velodyne, Paradigm, and Definitive Techonology all have great models in the $300 range.

Keep your DVD player, speakers, CD changer, and tape deck. You can upgrade your speakers in a year or two, whenever you have the money.

Last edited by skar; 06-07-02 at 06:37 PM.