Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

16 X 9 Sony Wega squeeze... ?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-02-02, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read wonderful things about the 16 X 9 squeeze on the bigger Wega models. Two questions for you experts... is this feature worth spending around $100? I watch a LOT of movies in letterbox. Is it noticeable?

The other question; when the Wega senses an incoming anamorphic signal, does it do this automatically, and then change back when it's done? Or is there some sort of button on the remote which toggles this?
Old 06-02-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 16 X 9 Sony Wega squeeze... ?

Originally posted by Llama
I read wonderful things about the 16 X 9 squeeze on the bigger Wega models. Two questions for you experts... is this feature worth spending around $100? I watch a LOT of movies in letterbox. Is it noticeable?

The other question; when the Wega senses an incoming anamorphic signal, does it do this automatically, and then change back when it's done? Or is there some sort of button on the remote which toggles this?
It's definitely worth it.

On the lower price models (like what I have), you have to change it manually with the remote. Not a big deal, IMO. On the more expensive models, it is done automatically.
Old 06-02-02, 10:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's at least noticeable... but I'm confused as to what you're concerned about spending $100 on. I have the lowest-end 32" WEGA, and it has the manual squeeze (as opposed to automatic). Doesn't take long at all, and if you have a learning remote of some sort, you could probably even set up a macro for it.
Old 06-02-02, 10:14 AM

Sorry, Static. I could have been more clear. I was referring to the $100 or so price difference between Sonys of that type and Toshibas, etc.

One more question: If there is an anamorphic movie, you do the squeeze, and there are subtitles located in the black bars, are they readable? It seems to me that they require some resolution to be legible; if the TV is using all resolution for the picture, won't the subtitles not appear?
Old 06-02-02, 11:08 PM
mdX

Llama:

subtitles will appear just as readable (or moreso) when using the squeeze than when downconverting. you have nothing to worry about
Old 06-03-02, 04:50 AM

16:9 enhanced mode is sweet, highly recommended if you watch a ton of DVDs, main reason why i chose Sony over panasonic
Old 06-04-02, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Llama
One more question: If there is an anamorphic movie, you do the squeeze, and there are subtitles located in the black bars, are they readable? It seems to me that they require some resolution to be legible; if the TV is using all resolution for the picture, won't the subtitles not appear?
If the DVD is anamorphic, the subtitles won't appear on the black bars, but on the movie itself. On anamorphic discs, the bars don't contain any video information.
On non-anamorphic DVDs the subs will usually appear below the picture.
The difference the 16:9 squeeze makes is incredible. I don't know if this has changed, but I couldn't use this feature without a Sony DVD player. And of course you have to use component video to take advantage of the sqeeze. Anyway, it's worth it.
Old 06-04-02, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a clarification: You don't have to use a Sony DVD player. Any company's player that will output an anamorphic 16:9 signal will work (and basically all do).

I've had my Wega for almost 2 years, and absolutely love it.
Old 06-04-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edclem
Just a clarification: You don't have to use a Sony DVD player. Any company's player that will output an anamorphic 16:9 signal will work (and basically all do).
My player put out a 16:9 signal, but wouldn't squeeze no matter what with my Wega XBR250. Of course the player I had was the problematic Panasonic A310. Once I upgraded to a Sony 7700, I never had a problem.
Anyway, that's good to know that other players will work. I didn't mean to mislead, I just had a messed up player I guess.
Old 06-04-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
yea, well worth it. I use it w/ my Pioneer player (32 inch with auto squeeze).

-k
###
Old 06-07-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't the squeeze cause a moderate distortion of the picture by stretching the picture vertically? My family just got a Pioneer RPTV that does a squeeze, and it isn't huge but is noticeable.
Old 06-07-02, 12:47 PM
Banned

I just got my 36" Wega today...and I'm confused. There is an obvious difference in picture quality when the squeeze is utilized. However, I'm not talking about the clarity. The picture seems to be squeezed too much such that some faces look smooshed. It makes the black bands a little thicker than they should be. My DVD player is set to 16x9 and the tv as well. As far as i know, every thing is set up right. Is this the way it's supposed to look?

What happens when you get DVD's that are anamorphically enhanced yet have an aspect ratio that is less than 1.85:1?
Old 06-07-02, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by greatjedi
And of course you have to use component video to take advantage of the sqeeze. Anyway, it's worth it.
Although component video may offer a better picture, it is not a requirement. S-Video works just fine.

more info 16:9 enhancement

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=139735
Old 06-07-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
jkzahn and digitalfreaknyc:

I don't know what could be wrong. I've got a 36" Wega and a 27" Wega and they both do the squeeze perfectly (I'm very sensitive to distortion and it doesn't take much to bother me).
Old 06-07-02, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
I just got my 36" Wega today...and I'm confused. There is an obvious difference in picture quality when the squeeze is utilized. However, I'm not talking about the clarity. The picture seems to be squeezed too much such that some faces look smooshed. It makes the black bands a little thicker than they should be. My DVD player is set to 16x9 and the tv as well. As far as i know, every thing is set up right. Is this the way it's supposed to look?

What happens when you get DVD's that are anamorphically enhanced yet have an aspect ratio that is less than 1.85:1?
If you turn off the enhancement, is the picture distorted (ex. people look stretched out). If not, the DVD is probably not anamorphic just letterbox so the 16:9 feature will not work properly.
Old 06-08-02, 08:29 AM

found this site...

http://www.geocities.com/chuckster04...l?979881353830

he says that it solves the wega oversqueeze problem.
Old 06-08-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digital Freak Are you positive everything is set up right?

You have the DVD player set to output 16:9 instead of 4:3. that was my problem when I got my WEGA

As for my .02 about WEGAs.

WORTH EVERY PENNy
Old 06-11-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts
Are there any sites that go thru the squeeze process step by step for those of us unlucky ones who bought a WEGA before the squeeze button was incorporated?

I bought a KV-36FS10 about a year before the separate squeeze button was introduced. (which really sucks!!!)

I have seen a site or 2 (long ago) that gave some instructions but they were pretty confusing & sometimes scary (as in...this will probably screw up your TV).

Has anyone else been in this situation or done this? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-02, 10:38 PM

new question...

when I change video modes, my 16X9 enhanced option changes also. I can set it to "on" in DVD mode, change to regular tuner, and when I get back to DVD, it is off. Can I do something so it stays on a particular video mode?
Old 06-13-02, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BubbaX

If you turn off the enhancement, is the picture distorted (ex. people look stretched out). If not, the DVD is probably not anamorphic just letterbox so the 16:9 feature will not work properly.
I turned off the enhancement...the picture looks fine. I put on both The Godfather and Dick Tracy...both are anamorphic.

The peoples faces look just slightly wider than they should be.
Old 06-13-02, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Thunderball
Digital Freak Are you positive everything is set up right?

You have the DVD player set to output 16:9 instead of 4:3. that was my problem when I got my WEGA

As for my .02 about WEGAs.

WORTH EVERY PENNy
Yes...16:9 setup...and everything else. It works perfectly on 2.35:1 movies. Just smaller doesn't look as great.
Old 06-13-02, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BubbaX

Although component video may offer a better picture, it is not a requirement. S-Video works just fine.

more info 16:9 enhancement

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=139735

But with a HDTV monitor especially, using high quality componet video jacks are extremely recommended for enhancement to receive the best video reception as possible for: HD, DVD, or other digital equipment.
You do NOT want to use: S-Video jacks on a HDTV monitor, only when you are connecting a VCR, or other non-digital hardware. and if your TV is not HD compatible, than S-Video jacks are fine, but then again, componet connecters are much better.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 06-13-02 at 02:00 PM.