Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What are your experiences with JVC receivers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of purchasing a JVC 8020VBK for 399.99, it seems to be pretty good.

It has a GUI, DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPL-II, and is rated at 100 watts.

It also has component switching, but i don't think i will be using it. BTW, is 35mhz enough bandwidth for component switching? What really piqued my interest was the USB input...

So what experiences with JVC Receivers do ya'll have to share?
Old 05-26-02, 11:07 PM

I don't even think of JVC in the receiver market. For around $400, your best bets are looking at Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, H/K and marantz. They are going to give you a much better sound than a JVC. Also, totally throw the watts out the window, it doesn't mean anything. A 65 watt from the brands I mention is going to be as good as a 100 watt Sony, JVC, Kenwood, etc... They use a cheap way of rating to get consumers to think they are better because it is "more" powerfull. Then in fact... they are not. Also, it takes a doubling of watts to gain a noticable difference. A 3db is gained every time you double the watts, were a 3db gain is what the human ear can hear.
Old 05-27-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zargon
I don't even think of JVC in the receiver market. For around $400, your best bets are looking at Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, H/K and marantz. They are going to give you a much better sound than a JVC. Also, totally throw the watts out the window, it doesn't mean anything. A 65 watt from the brands I mention is going to be as good as a 100 watt Sony, JVC, Kenwood, etc... They use a cheap way of rating to get consumers to think they are better because it is "more" powerfull. Then in fact... they are not. Also, it takes a doubling of watts to gain a noticable difference. A 3db is gained every time you double the watts, were a 3db gain is what the human ear can hear.
If you are going to slam a company for deceptive practices please provide a link to prove your allegations! The Internet is filled with people spewing false claims about this and that with no real proof! Your claim about Sony proves you are wrong (or just like spreading false info) as their Sony ES line is every bit as good as equivilant priced Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, H/K, and Marantz! Even Sony's DB line is a pretty good line of receivers. Now, when it comes to the Sony DE line that is another thing but most manufacturers have entry level equipment that is not high quality, but you get what you pay for.

As to the question about JVC's receiver, they used to be a top-of-the-line receiver manufacturer (15 years or so ago) but they have since decided quantity was better then quality. I have the last great receiver JVC put out and the years after that one are not anywhere in the same league as my RX-8V. Of course it is my opinion and others can chime it with different thoughts but that is my take on JVC currently with receivers. You can't go wrong with most of the major brands out there but you need to do research and demo each receiver you are interested in before buying. It's a bit of work but if you are investing $600 or more it is a big enough investment that you should invest the time to find what's best for you.

If you are talking about High Definition component bandwidth 35Mz. is not enough you need 50MHz. or more for that. If you are talking about 480p then 35MHz. is sufficient.
Old 05-27-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking for a post you made in this thread but can't find it, you might want to check here.

I spun off 4 posts that had been in this thread into their own topic.