Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice on if this is a good code free DVD player. Help appreciated.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have always wanted a region free DVD player but I never wanted to spend the money. A dude I work with, a fellow movie addict, knows I've been looking so he sent me this link to this website for this great deal on what he says is an awesome DVD player w/ everything I would need, he just ordered it & he loves it.

I really know nothing about region free DVD players ( or really any hardware for that matter). The DVD player is the Daewoo DVG-5800 The description sounds awesome, but I'm a little skeptical. Is this a good website to order from? And is this DVD player quality & a good buy? Also once you check out the link, is it worth to just shell out the extra cash & get the Malata DVD-520. What are the pros & cons of these 2 players.

If anyone could check out this link & give me some advice I would be a beyond greatly appreciative.

Here is the link:http://www.lfvw.com/dvd_players.html
Old 05-22-02, 12:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can read input about the Daewoo here. .

Generally, I've heard good quality build versus the Apex units. DVD quality just a tad less than a Toshiba (which are excellent) The MP3 features seem to be well-regarded compared to the competition. You can disable region via the remote, and macrovision via a burned CD-R with the firmware on it (available at nerdout.com )

Long-term concerns? Well, that's the chance you take, but it's cheap enough

If you live near a Sam's Club, you can buy the earlier model 5700 (same features, better profile) for roughly $90. Even if you don't belong to them, goto your local Wal-Mart & buy Wal-Mart gift cards, they're accepted as payment at Sam's Club (who own WM) without being a member. Doubtful?---call up your local Sam's Club to confirm (I did locally to me).

Else---goto Ebay. But buyer beware as always.

Versus the Malata? I've heard the Malata is the best when converting from PAL => NTSC. If this is important to you, maybe the Malata is for you. Otherwise, the Daewoo seems the best deal.

Last edited by collije; 05-22-02 at 12:14 PM.