Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

how can I make us ps2 play pal dvds?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-08-02, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if it is possible to make a US playstation 2 play PAL DVDs. I know there's something called DVD Region X that takes the region lock off the ps2, but it says it still won't allow you to play pal dvds. anybody have a solution?
Old 04-08-02, 05:05 PM
Banned

I believe you have to get a PAL to NTSC converter so that your TV can read the signal coming out of the PS2. I'm not sure about this tho, anyone confirm?
Old 04-08-02, 08:14 PM

I know I'd have to do that too, but the ps2 itself won't convert to pal I think, so I don't think that will work. Is there any way to make the ps2 do the conversion?
Old 04-09-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshd2012 is right. The PS2 does not have the hardware to do the conversion. There is no way to 'make it work' if it does not have the necessary harware built in to it. The only option is to get a PAL/NTSC converter from someplace like Radio Shack.

The converter sits between the connection to your PS2 and TV. The PS2 will output the PAL signal, the converter will convert it to NTSC and the TV will show a proper image. Some converters work better than others, this is definitely an item where you get what you're paying for.
Old 04-11-02, 02:38 PM

but I was saying that I wasn't sure if the american ps2 could even produce a PAL signal for output to a converter. Does anyone know anything about that?
Old 04-12-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gremmy9
but I was saying that I wasn't sure if the american ps2 could even produce a PAL signal for output to a converter. Does anyone know anything about that?
Anything can produce the signal. All the player does is decode a DVD. It does not create the PAL or NTSC signal. The format is part of what gets read from the DVD. The reason it looks messed up is because it is feeding a PAL picture via NTSC. In otherwords, the player doesn't know that it's producing a garbage picture.