Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is the 27" Akai flat screen as good as Sony?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-28-02, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into getting a 27" flat screen t.v. and the other day I found a 27" flat screen Akai t.v. at Sam's club and it looked pretty good. I'm kind of new to buying flat screens, so I was wondering how it compared to Sony's Wega in terms of specs. If I get this Akai it will save me around $200. I just want to make sure I'm not buying a cheap rip-off t.v. If you go to the Sam's club website and search under electronics/t.v.'s you can find the specs for it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who are interested, here is the direct link to the TV.

You would be buying a cheap rip-off TV. There's a reason that P.O.S. only has a 90 day warranty. It will in no way compare to the Sony Wega. If you want to save a little money but still get good quality, check out the Toshiba flat screens or the Panasonic Tau line. They're about $100 less than the Sony and are both excellent quality.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 03-28-02 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-28-02, 03:55 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, my Wega only had a 90 day labor warranty as well, and a whole, huge 1 year on parts! And labor is the part that usually costs the most.

I found that to be a statement of their confidence in the set too.
Old 03-28-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last Panasonic I bought had a year warranty for both parts and labor. I don't know how they are with their Taus.
Old 03-28-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the same set as the Samsung Dynaflat which has a 1 year (15 months if you register through the website) warranty. I have the Samsung and think it's a great TV for the money. It has a great picture (after calibration, it sucks out of the box), plenty of inputs, 16:9 mode from the remote and good sound (I use a seperate receiver but if you're using the TV speakers it's not too bad). You can check the reviews for the Samsung here. for some reason it's in the HDTV section. There's also a huge thread over at Hometheater forum here.
-Evan
Old 03-28-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

You would be buying a cheap rip-off TV. There's a reason that P.O.S. only has a 90 day warranty. It will in no way compare to the Sony Wega. If you want to save a little money but still get good quality, check out the Toshiba flat screens or the Panasonic Tau line. They're about $100 less than the Sony and are both excellent quality.
It has the exact same warranty as the Sony--90 days labor/one year parts. And you're right, it doesn't compare with the Sony--fewer problems, a better sound system, costs less and has the 16x9 squeeze right on the remote.

The Samsung version (TXL2791F) has one year parts and labor and is $450 at BestBuy. The sets are identical with the exception of the case color and the label on the front.
Old 03-29-02, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nekobus
It has the exact same warranty as the Sony--90 days labor/one year parts.
No it doesn't. It has 90 days parts/90 days labor. And if Sam's Club doesn't have a service center, good luck finding someone to work on it.

Best Buy is selling the Toshiba for a little over $500.
Old 03-29-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No it doesn't. It has 90 days parts/90 days labor. And if Sam's Club doesn't have a service center, good luck finding someone to work on it.

Best Buy is selling the Toshiba for a little over $500.
It is actually 90 days labor/one year parts. Their website says 90 days P&L, but this is incorrect. At the physical store it says 90days/one year. I had an employee check and 90 days/1 year is the actual warranty.

The warranty service is carried out by Samsung. The set is identical to the Samsung with the exception of the color and badges. The manuals, remotes, operation and service menus are exactly the same.

If the warranty is really that much of an issue, Sam's Club sells a one year addition to the warranty for $20.

Last edited by nekobus; 03-29-02 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-29-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nekobus

The warranty service is carried out by Samsung. The set is identical to the Samsung with the exception of the color and badges. The manuals, remotes, operation and service menus are exactly the same.
If Samsung handles the warranty for Akai it's an even better deal. Samsung provides in home warranty service for any TV 27" or above Based on the stories I've read about people dragging their Wegas into the service center I don't think that's something that Sony offers.
Old 03-29-02, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the input. I checked some of the specs when I saw it in the store and it seems to relatively compare somewhat to the Sony. It has component input and S-video as well as on A/V on the front, so that seems relatively good. Is the picture on this t.v. sharp and are the colors good on it? How does the picture compare to the Sony, is it sharp and detailed. It has a comb filter and Simulated surround sound. Some other questions I have about it though are:

It says it has up to 800 lines of resolution, is that good?

It says something about 480i, what does this mean?

It says that it is analog but I don't know what they are talking about?

Does this set have stereo sound (i.e. does it have good speakers on it?)

As you can see I'm kind of new at this stuff so bear with me and thanks for the help. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money on a cheap t.v.
Old 03-29-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a good TV. I got one for my bedroom. It is the same as the Sammy Sung one. Whoever is saying this is a POS needs to do some homework.

Also, Sony's are way overpriced. Everyone hear knows about the Sony lower-end models - they suck and Sony charges a hell of a lot more because Joe Six Pack thinks they are neat when they buy a Sony.
Old 03-29-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this TV looks as good or better than the other 27" analog flat screens. Once I ran video essentials everything was better looking than on the Wega that my friend owns. The anamorphic squeeze mode looks incredible, everytime we watch a movie someone points out how great the picture looks (ok, so half the time it's me but whatever ).

It says something about 480i, what does this mean?

- 480i is regular analog picture.

It says that it is analog but I don't know what they are talking about?

- I think they're just telling you that it is not a HDTV.

Does this set have stereo sound (i.e. does it have good speakers on it?)

- If you're going to use the internal speakers they are very good (for internal speakers). The simulated surround works well and you can change the different parameters (bass, treble, balance etc.) to suit your taste.

I don't know about the 800 lines of horizontal resolution, as far as I can tell it really doesn't matter. Hopefully someone else can explain that because I've wondered the same thing.
Old 03-31-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You would be buying a cheap rip-off TV. There's a reason that P.O.S. only has a 90 day warranty. It will in no way compare to the Sony Wega. If you want to save a little money but still get good quality, check out the Toshiba flat screens or the Panasonic Tau line.
Actually, this is not "a cheap rip-off TV", but manufactured by Samsung and widely considered superior to both the comparable Sony and Toshiba offerings at a considerable savings. There are numerous in-depth comparisons and setup discussions on various other forums.
Old 03-31-02, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by reverb
Actually, this is not "a cheap rip-off TV", but manufactured by Samsung and widely considered superior to both the comparable Sony and Toshiba offerings at a considerable savings. There are numerous in-depth comparisons and setup discussions on various other forums.
OK, I stand corrected, but I had nothing but trouble with the one Samsung TV I've owned. Over the years, I've had Admiral (the original incarnation of the company), RCA, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony.

I don't know if Admiral even exists anymore. I wouldn't touch RCA or Samsung again unless the companies have improved a lot. My Panasonic is on its last legs after 14 years and I'd buy another one without hesitation. The Sony is going great after five years, so I'd probably buy another one.
Old 05-30-02, 02:45 PM

Since Akai 27" has 16:9 mode, is that mean I can use my progressive scan player to get a better picture?
If so, is progressive scan player produce better picture than a non-progressive player connected thru component on Akai TV?
Old 05-30-02, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Sildenafil
Since Akai 27" has 16:9 mode, is that mean I can use my progressive scan player to get a better picture?
If so, is progressive scan player produce better picture than a non-progressive player connected thru component on Akai TV?
16:9 mode has nothing to do with a prog scan player, to take advantage of prog scan, you need a digital tv that supports the formats. Also, the 16:9 mode only works with anamorphic DVDs (which most DVDs are now).
Old 05-31-02, 12:42 AM

Hmmm... Akai 27" flat screen for $349. I believe the least expensive Sony WEGA 27" (2002 model) is $499. It depends on your budget and past TV experience.

I've always had Sony TV's, although they are more expensive than the rest for a comparable model. They are well-built and last a long time as well.

If you really are on a budget, the Akai sounds like a good TV.

You may ask yourself how long you intend to keep the TV for? If you intend to keep it for 5 years or more, I would say the Sony will be a good choice. Wait for Circuit City/Sears/Best Buy to announce a 10% sale and then you can get the Sony for $449, which will be only $100 more than the Akai.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 05-31-02, 10:07 AM
Banned

I've got a Samsung Dynaflat TV and I love it.
Old 06-02-02, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by zargon

16:9 mode has nothing to do with a prog scan player, to take advantage of prog scan, you need a digital tv that supports the formats. Also, the 16:9 mode only works with anamorphic DVDs (which most DVDs are now).
Thanks for the answer. Then, what is the purpose of the 16:9 mode on a non-HD TV like this one?
Old 06-02-02, 11:12 PM

The 16:9 feature does the anamorphic squeeze on anamorphic dvd's (or ones that say 16:9 enchaced). In effect, what the squeeze does is compresses the picture to use all 480 lines of resolution in the actual viewing area and uses none of the horizontal lines in the area of the black bars, which basically will give you an improvement in picture resolution of 33 %. Basically, dvd's will look amazingly better than before.
Old 06-03-02, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by reverb

Exactly where can find these Samsung TV setup discussions/instructions. I never knew TV was so complicated. BTW, I think the digital picture noise reduction is just about my favorite feature. It makes my grainy cable signal look decent.
Old 06-03-02, 02:37 PM

I have 1 question in regards to the anamorphic squeeze feature.
I understand what it does and how it should work, but every time I try t oget it to work I just have a double widescreen effect that is obviously wrong.
I am using an XBox instead of a stand alone DVD player, but in the settings for the XBox you can chose Standard, Letterbox or Widescreen. I figured Widescreen is the choice I would want, but the squeeze doesn't work on any of the 3 modes.
I also figured that all I needed to do with the TV is set the size to Widescreen...is this correct?
Any ideas? I am hoping I can still get this to work through the XBox, because all I have other than that is a PS2...

Thanks in advance,

Arin
Old 06-03-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by icondude

Exactly where can find these Samsung TV setup discussions/instructions. I never knew TV was so complicated. BTW, I think the digital picture noise reduction is just about my favorite feature. It makes my grainy cable signal look decent.
There is a great thread over at HTF:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1
Old 06-03-02, 08:18 PM

Arin,I'm not sure what you mean by double widescreen, if I set my tv to do the anamorphic squeeze and forget to set my dvd player to the 16:9 mode, I get a weird compression that makes images disproportionte, a 1:85 movie appears to be compresed slightly wider than 2:35. I don't know about the settings on your xbox, but if this effect is similar to what you are seeing, it probably isn't set correctly to 16:9
Old 06-03-02, 09:45 PM

dmvsvk,

The double widescreen is simply the TV adjusting the movie to widescreen while the movie is already displaying in widescreen, so I think we are talking about the same thing.

I tried later today with a different (also anamporphic) DVD and the squeeze mode on the TV worked fine, so I'm thinking maybe I need to restart the XBox whenever I change settings like that or something.

Either way, it works, and the quality is way better, I'm very pleased.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.