Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have this DVD Player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-02, 08:56 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at the Malata DVD-N996 player (http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm) and was wondering if anyone else owns it? I'd like to hear some opinions of it before I buy. I'm pretty convinced that it's what I want. Look at the features: pretty impressive . Also, it's the only multi-region DVD player endorsed by HKFlix.com (http://www.hkflix.com/home.asp). Looking forward to peoples thoughts...
Old 03-26-02, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Malata N996 with the November 9, 2001 firmware. This firmware is very important. Your best bet is to search for the Malata in the International Forum....lotsa posts there to discuss the N996.

My thoughts on the N996:

Pros: plays almost any DVD available (NTSC or PAL, any region), has video converter to play PAL discs on a NTSC TV (4% speedup though), XY scalability, progressive, both coaxial and optical outputs, silver or black version (gold is now discontinued)

Cons: Poor/cheap remote, lousy manual, some people have complained about build quality (e.g. front displays not working or fallen off and a possible DOA), confusing menu setup.

Dave