Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Another Progressive Scan Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the progressive scan threads so I think I understand how it works. Here is my situation: I have a regular tube TV (with SVideo and Component Inputs) and a regular (non-progressive DVD player). Would having a progressive scan DVD player improve the picture???

I think I understand that most HDTVs have line doublers (which convert Interlaced signal to Progressive, I think). I assume a regular (non HDTV) TV does not have the line doubler. So here is my question: Wouldn't having a progressive scan DVD player drastically improve my picture?

Another question is: do you have to use Component video to take advantage of progressive scan? (or would S-video work as well)
Old 03-20-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Another Progressive Scan Question

Originally posted by hudsonmike
I've read the progressive scan threads so I think I understand how it works. Here is my situation: I have a regular tube TV (with SVideo and Component Inputs) and a regular (non-progressive DVD player). Would having a progressive scan DVD player improve the picture???

I think I understand that most HDTVs have line doublers (which convert Interlaced signal to Progressive, I think). I assume a regular (non HDTV) TV does not have the line doubler. So here is my question: Wouldn't having a progressive scan DVD player drastically improve my picture?

Another question is: do you have to use Component video to take advantage of progressive scan? (or would S-video work as well)
In your case the question is moot. If your TV does not accept component input then you cannot get a progressive picture.
Old 03-20-02, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

My TV DOES accept component input. I guess you answered my second question, i.e. use of component inputs is required to take advantage of progressive scan.
Old 03-20-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by hudsonmike
My TV DOES accept component input. I guess you answered my second question, i.e. use of component inputs is required to take advantage of progressive scan.
I apologize, I thought that said S and composite.

If they are component inputs then a progressive player might make a difference but the next issue is the size of the TV. I have a 36" tv and the difference to me is barely noticeable. I am told it becomes more noticeable the larger the image.

Having said that good progressive players are under $300 now and might be worth having anyway.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-02, 01:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
A progressive signal will not help your TV if it doesn't have a progressive input. Component input does not necessarily mean progressive.

I doubt yours does, so it won't even accept a progressive signal and you'd have to switch your player to non-progressive to use it at all.
Old 03-20-02, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks.
My current TV is a 27" Toshiba, but I'm thinking about getting a 36" JVC36260. Unfortunately I don't have a Prog Scan DVD player so I can't test it.

How would I know if JVC36260 accepts prog signal. I'm reading the specs...
Dual Tuner PIP
800 Lines Horizontal Resolution
3-Line Digital Comb Filter
Component Video Input
36" Diagonal Full Square Dark Tinted Picture Tube
...but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Are you saying that most of non-HDTVs would not accept it at all? Are you also saying that unless I get HDTV I have no reason to upgrade to Prog Scan DVD player (I saw some Tosh and JVC at Costco for around $200)?
Old 03-20-02, 01:58 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I strongly doubt it accepts progressive in because it's not HDTV nor does it even have a line-doubler.

This article might shed some light:

http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/a...nid=117&List=8
Old 03-21-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks hudsonmike for posting this thread. I've been wondering this myself. I just never asked.
Old 03-21-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To try to sum up & clarify what has already been stated:
Unless your TV will specifically accept a progressive video feed, a progressive scan player will be useless, other than to use it in standard interlaced mode.
There are a few non-HDTVs that accept the progressive signal, but as a general rule, most do not.
Here's the full specs for your TV, and I don't see anything about progressive scan, so upgrading your DVD player probably won't make any difference.

Dual Tuner PIP
800 Lines Horizontal Resolution
3-Line Digital Comb Filter
Component Video Input
Hyper Scan High Speed Channel Changer
Super Command Universal Remote Control withTV/VCR and DVD Control Capability
36" Diagonal Full Square Dark Tinted Picture Tube
15 Color Icon-based Super Command OSD:English, French, Spanish
MTS Stereo with SAP
Hyper Surround Sound
TV Speakers On/Off in Menu, Front Firing Bottom Speakers
Audio Output 4.0 Watts x 2 Speakers