DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   receiver or amplifier (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/189643-receiver-amplifier.html)

bluepenny 03-06-02 12:11 PM

receiver or amplifier

I read an faq about amplifier.. and it said that amplifier have better sound quality than receiver because it doesnt have all the extra features that a reciever have to share the power supply.
Is this true? and which one should i get for simple movie dd5.1?

mr. longshanks 03-06-02 12:35 PM

If you are just starting out get a reciever.....preferably one with pre-outs so you can add a amp someday and eventually make the move to seperates.

Most seperates will cost you a bit more than a reciever. Cheapest I've seen is the new Outlaw stuff (prepro 899 and their amp (5ch) for 1099)

bluepenny 03-06-02 12:53 PM

thanks for the suggestion

Brian Shannon 03-06-02 01:22 PM

Re: receiver or amplifier

Originally posted by bluepenny
I read an faq about amplifier.. and it said that amplifier have better sound quality than receiver because it doesnt have all the extra features that a reciever have to share the power supply.

A receiver is made up of three components, an amplifier, a preamplifier and a tuner.

It is true that the higher end seperates (ie., an amplifier and a preamplifier) are of high build quality and should be superior.

For most people a good quality receiver will do a great job and save you extra cables, setup and space issues.

skar 03-07-02 04:36 AM

I prefer seperates. I would not spend more than about $1500 on a receiver. Above that a power amp and preamp make more sense.

Sn0 03-07-02 11:18 AM

Re: receiver or amplifier

That realy all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Tomahoochi 03-07-02 12:31 PM

I have a Denon 1802, got it for $350, I love it. It has the pre-outs mentioned earlier.

Sn0 03-07-02 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Tomahoochi
I have a Denon 1802, got it for $350, I love it. It has the pre-outs mentioned earlier.
The 1802 actually only has preouts for the front three not all 5 I think you have to step up to the 2802 to get all 5 I know my 3801 has them

gotapex 03-07-02 05:52 PM

Harman Kardon has the AVR320 and AVR520 which both have 7.1 preouts. As an added bonus, they have a limited Logic7 too.

bluepenny 03-07-02 07:52 PM

I am just looking for my first 5.1 system
so i am not expecting anything expensive or highquality
any suggestion for an average model? not sure what's the price range of these but my parents are paying for it, but nothing too expensive.

bluepenny 03-07-02 07:54 PM

I saw some 5.1 speakrs sold together with an amplifier (not reciever)?
will that be enough for dd5.1 sound? or does it require other equipment too

skar 03-08-02 09:19 PM

I saw some 5.1 speakrs sold together with an amplifier (not reciever)?
will that be enough for dd5.1 sound? or does it require other equipment too

Perhaps.

My recommendation for a starter system would be to purchase a low end receiver from a top level company like the Onkyo 494 (about $250). Then add some speakers from a company like Energy, PSB, or JBL. Finish off with the Sony WA-40 sub. Total cost is about $650-800. If you can't afford it all at once, start with the receiver and two speakers and add from there. It won't cost you any money to build your system piece by piece.

nazz 03-10-02 07:55 PM

I love my Denon 4802 and highly recommend it!

TheKobra 03-10-02 11:19 PM

I would have to say go with the Sony SAT-DA5ES. I love mine and I only paid $750.00 + Tax for a $1500.00 receiver. Not too shabbbbbbbbby if you ask me. I know you didn't!