Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which is better: 6.1 or 7.1?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In other words, which format will last and which format will prove useless. Or, will the formats combine to a 3-2-3 format being 8.1?
Old 02-25-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can be sure it will be 8.1 at some point, but I'm running out of room for speakers. Supposedly the middle rear channel is pretty cool but since your hearing is weakest directly behind you I'm not sure without listening. A friend set up a 7.1 system it naturally 2 more speakers really filled the room.
Old 02-25-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally I don't see why it would get any more than 7.1 if you look at it from the standpoint of programming.

7.1 is the same as 6.1 but instead of 1 rear center speaker you have 2 speakers. The information sent to the rear channel in both a 6.1 and 7.1 setup is only 1 channel.

Realistcally though I can't imagine more channels. I mean is a director really going to be thinking about what different sounds can be sent to 10 different speakers?

The main goal is to surround the listening position which 6.1/7.1 does quite well. I can't imagine how you would even set up more that 7 speakers. It would be to much and it would close in the sound stage and would really defeat the purpose of surround sound.
Old 02-25-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have Yamaha RX-V1200 with 6.1 and it is really cool. I really see no need for 7.1. Now why would I want 2 rear center speakers? Currently nothing if recorded in 7.1 and in the next year when it does I will have to go to a Home Audio store and see for myself.

Left Front Center Rigth Front

Left Rear Left Center Right Center Right Center

or just take out one
rear center speakers
and you have 6.1!!!
Old 02-26-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
which format will last
In the world of consumer electronics this is a ponderous quote.
Old 02-26-02, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot
Personally I don't see why it would get any more than 7.1 if you look at it from the standpoint of programming.
7.1 is the same as 6.1 but instead of 1 rear center speaker you have 2 speakers. The information sent to the rear channel in both a 6.1 and 7.1 setup is only 1 channel.

Realistcally though I can't imagine more channels. I mean is a director really going to be thinking about what different sounds can be sent to 10 different speakers?
Personally, I don't consider any of todays sound format as 7.1, after all noone considered a DPL System to be 5.0, just because it used 5 speakers.

I wouldn't be surprised, if some director came up with the idea to create some "above and below" effects.
Old 02-26-02, 09:16 AM

SDDS

I think the answer to this is YES and NO. In a Cine/Mega-plex it would be advantageous to use more channels, in a home theatre there will probably be no advantages to more channels...which is why Sony's SDDS system will probably never have a consumer version. www.sdds.com

Although the interesting part of that is that the information is there, and could be transfered onto DVD's someday...so I would think a person with a very large home theatre could potentially reap the benefits of more channels.
Old 02-26-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since there is no 7.1 sound format, I think we'll have to wait and see if it's invented before we can question it's longevity
Old 03-01-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

7.1, of course...

...well, it's one louder isn't it? It's not 6.1. 7.1. Exactly. One louder...
Old 03-01-02, 11:19 AM

Not sure what you meant...

...well, it's one louder isn't it? It's not 6.1. 7.1. Exactly. One louder...
Not sure what you mean by 1 louder, unless you mean it's 1 more speaker?

The point of designating 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 would insinuate that it had that many seperate channels. Just because you add more speakers does not give you those many seperate channels, or in my mind, the right to falsely call yourself 7.1.
Old 03-01-02, 11:38 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
It all depends on the size of the room. For example, in a big auditorium 7.1 will have a noticable difference over 6.1. However, in a medium-sized room at home (whatever that is ) it probably wouldn't make much difference to warrant an upgrade.
Old 03-01-02, 02:30 PM

We'll see...

It all depends on the size of the room. For example, in a big auditorium 7.1 will have a noticable difference over 6.1. However, in a medium-sized room at home (whatever that is ) it probably wouldn't make much difference to warrant an upgrade.
I'm with DVD_O_RAMA on this one, and I think we'll just have to wait until 7.1 is invented first before we start making assumptions.

I'd have a hard time believing someone being able to distinguish stereo sounds coming from BEHIND (not to be confused with the SIDE surrounds) them...I know there is a ton of research information based on this topic, so I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Remember EXTRA speakers does not constitute the designation of 7.1. If that were the case then I would just run 3 pairs of speakers in parallel and have have 6.1...and we would start calling Dolby PROLOGIC 5.1 processing instead of Dolby 2.0.
Old 03-01-02, 04:14 PM
Banned

Re: We'll see...

Originally posted by jinhopark

I'm with DVD_O_RAMA on this one, and I think we'll just have to wait until 7.1 is invented first before we start making assumptions.

I'd have a hard time believing someone being able to distinguish stereo sounds coming from BEHIND (not to be confused with the SIDE surrounds) them...I know there is a ton of research information based on this topic, so I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Remember EXTRA speakers does not constitute the designation of 7.1. If that were the case then I would just run 3 pairs of speakers in parallel and have have 6.1...and we would start calling Dolby PROLOGIC 5.1 processing instead of Dolby 2.0.
I was just looking at some receivers and noticed that some of the more expensive ones offered 7.1. I don't know if it simulates it or what, but I can only go on what I was reading. Most likely I am going to stick with the 6.1 just because its going to be hard enough finding room for 6 speakers, let alone 7.
Old 03-03-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hear that they already have setup some 10.2 demo systems at trade shows and such. I'm not sure where the other speakers went, but above and below sounds reasonable.
Old 03-05-02, 01:51 AM

to make it easy I say or perfer just DD 5.1 . I gotta give 2 thumbs up for 5.1 .
Also DTS kicks butt.
I only run 5.1 but in 5.1 on my a/v amp I am actually running 7 speakers and 1 power SUB.

my front left and rights are 2-12's 3-ways, 2 mids and highs.
1 center (shielded), 2-left and right rears and 1 10" powerd sub.
I can prove I can out crank any Boses , jbl, yamaha and big major brand setups even if its in 6.1 etc, etc.
Paying big bucks on a hi fi system is just for rich sukers that just dont know what else to spend there money on!
Old 03-05-02, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by mikeoreva
to make it easy I say or perfer just DD 5.1 . I gotta give 2 thumbs up for 5.1 .
Also DTS kicks butt.
I only run 5.1 but in 5.1 on my a/v amp I am actually running 7 speakers and 1 power SUB.

my front left and rights are 2-12's 3-ways, 2 mids and highs.
1 center (shielded), 2-left and right rears and 1 10" powerd sub.
I can prove I can out crank any Boses , jbl, yamaha and big major brand setups even if its in 6.1 etc, etc.
Paying big bucks on a hi fi system is just for rich sukers that just dont know what else to spend there money on!
As I stated above, just because you are running MORE speakers does not mean you have a 6.1 setup...or are superior to a 6.1 setup. There is actual material written for a 6.1 setup, and unless you have the decoder and proper speaker setup you will not be able to extract it out of a 5.1 setup.
Old 03-05-02, 10:59 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think 5.1 works just dandy in almost any home environment.
Old 03-05-02, 11:33 AM

Whatever suits you...

Originally posted by JLB
I think 5.1 works just dandy in almost any home environment.
You can say the same thing about Dolby Pro Logic... Or even plain stereo for that matter.
Old 03-05-02, 03:11 PM

People tend to prefer 7.1 to 6.1 because two rear centers provide a more difuse rear soundstage. You don't want to be able to discern where that rear center sound is coming from.
Old 03-06-02, 12:07 AM

Pro-Logic is kinda cheesy. reason being its like playing 5.1, but not as crisp in sound quality. I have DD5.1 and pro-logic settings and the ONLY way I run pro-logic is IF the DvD movie does not support dd5.1 and IF i like to use the center speaker.
Now as for me hooking up my speakers as 6.1 from a DD5.1 A/V amp,, that was not my attentions of doing so. I am just running more speakers for more louder sound thats all and of course the looks!

But all in all. 5.1 is the way to go. 6.1 and 7.1 is meaning less. too many speakers and for what? 5.1 U get all effects from front, back and side sounds.
thats enough for me.
Old 03-06-02, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by mikeoreva
Pro-Logic is kinda cheesy. reason being its like playing 5.1, but not as crisp in sound quality. I have DD5.1 and pro-logic settings and the ONLY way I run pro-logic is IF the DvD movie does not support dd5.1 and IF i like to use the center speaker.
Now as for me hooking up my speakers as 6.1 from a DD5.1 A/V amp,, that was not my attentions of doing so. I am just running more speakers for more louder sound thats all and of course the looks!

But all in all. 5.1 is the way to go. 6.1 and 7.1 is meaning less. too many speakers and for what? 5.1 U get all effects from front, back and side sounds.
thats enough for me.
Your statement made no sense... You said in the first paragraph that hooking up more speakers was for louder sound and looks, then in the second paragraph you said that 6.1/7.1 has TOO MANY SPEAKERS?

The "looks" statement is about as cheesy as a reason to add more speakers as I've ever heard. Loud is probably the next cheesiest reason. If you want LOUD just get some Klipsche speakers, as they are as efficient as they come... If you want CLEAN sound then that is a totally different issue.

The reason for 6.1 is to decode the REAR channels, that are encoded on EX/ES DVD's... If it is set up properly then the sound emanating from them can be quite convincing and can add tremendously to the movie being played.
Old 03-06-02, 09:57 AM

Dipoles

Originally posted by gotapex
People tend to prefer 7.1 to 6.1 because two rear centers provide a more difuse rear soundstage. You don't want to be able to discern where that rear center sound is coming from.
If you want diffuse sound then just use Dipoles for your rear speakers...
Old 03-06-02, 12:02 PM
Banned

I have a question... I was looking at the Denon 3802 and it says that it is 6.1, but it has 7 channels. Does this mean that you have to use 7 speakers in which the second set of rears would put out the same signal simulating one middle surround speaker, or does the computer allow you to use just one of the channels and leave the other one open but still get 6.1?
Old 03-06-02, 01:33 PM

Not sure...

Originally posted by joshd2012
I have a question... I was looking at the Denon 3802 and it says that it is 6.1, but it has 7 channels. Does this mean that you have to use 7 speakers in which the second set of rears would put out the same signal simulating one middle surround speaker, or does the computer allow you to use just one of the channels and leave the other one open but still get 6.1?
I'm not familiar with Denon Receivers...but wouldn't 3 up front, 2 on the sides, 1 rear, and 1 sub equal 7 channels?

My arrangement goes: 3 up front, 2 on the sides, 2 in the rear, 1 front sub and 1 rear sub. So I guess that would give me 7.2 processing, JUST KIDDING!!!
Old 03-06-02, 01:41 PM
Banned

Re: Not sure...

Originally posted by jinhopark

I'm not familiar with Denon Receivers...but wouldn't 3 up front, 2 on the sides, 1 rear, and 1 sub equal 7 channels?

My arrangement goes: 3 up front, 2 on the sides, 2 in the rear, 1 front sub and 1 rear sub. So I guess that would give me 7.2 processing, JUST KIDDING!!!
It has 2 front channels, a center channel, 2 surround channels, and 2 rear surround channels. The sub is a pre-out I believe. I'm wondering how you could have 6.1 when your 6th speaker (the center surround) is 2 channels?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.