Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which is better: 6.1 or 7.1?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which is better: 6.1 or 7.1?

Old 03-06-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Not sure...

Originally posted by joshd2012

It has 2 front channels, a center channel, 2 surround channels, and 2 rear surround channels. The sub is a pre-out I believe. I'm wondering how you could have 6.1 when your 6th speaker (the center surround) is 2 channels?
Because it's not 2 channels, it's 1 channel split between 2 speakers. There is no 7.1 decoding...DTSex ans THXes are 6.1 decoding...all 7.1 does is split the rear center into 2 speakers.
Old 03-06-02, 01:53 PM

Re: Dipoles

Originally posted by jinhopark

If you want diffuse sound then just use Dipoles for your rear speakers...
Bipoles and Dipoles are definitely one way to do it. However, there is no 1 "best" solution. Different rooms (and listeners) require different equipment. I'm presonally satisfied with my 5.1 system, but I have heard very good 6.1 and 7.1 systems.
Old 03-06-02, 02:09 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Not sure...

Originally posted by palebluedot

Because it's not 2 channels, it's 1 channel split between 2 speakers. There is no 7.1 decoding...DTSex ans THXes are 6.1 decoding...all 7.1 does is split the rear center into 2 speakers.
Okay, so if I just used one of the rear surrounds as the center surround I would get 6.1? And if I wanted 7.1 (when/if it comes out) I would have to use the 8 channel Pre-Out into an external amp or upgrade, right?
Old 03-08-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem I see with one center rear is that speakers come in pairs and I don't want to use a center speaker for the rear.
I have Paradigm Reference speakers...waht would I use for the rear center?
Old 03-09-02, 01:50 AM

i think 5 is enough.. no point in increasing the number of speakers, pretty soon the number of speakers are going to be more than the number of camercas that they use in matrix for the rotating shot.
Old 03-10-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two rear speakers make it easier to discern sounds coming from the rear. With one speaker directly behind, some people interpret the sound as coming from in front of them. Even with 7.1, my wife can't always tell when the rear speakers are active until she turns her head sideways.
Old 03-10-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People are having trouble understanding there is no current 7.1 format.

The only true 6.1 format is DTS ES Discrete.

DD EX and DTS ES Matrix are not discrete formats but instead matrixed like pro-logic. A better desciption seen on some DVDs is DD 5.1 EX or DTS 5.1 ES.

Now, even with these Matrixed formats information is encoded by the sound designers to be decoded into center surround (s) if you have an EX/ES system.

If you have one or two center surrounds, they will be passing the same signal. The confusion and misnomer of 7.1 comes from THX, who recommended using 2 center surrounds, especially in a large room for a more diffuse sound field. Many receivers that offer 6 channels or amplification also have an additional pre-out for a second center surround channel if you desire that addition.

Personally, I find EX/ES adds alot to some films, especially those specifically encoded. Listening to Episode 1 in EX made me a believer. There are some incredible scenes (pod race anyone) where you have sounds coming right down the center of the room which would not be there in standard 5.1.

I use 2 center surround speakers since I had them, but a single speaker would probably provide decent results as well, though may not be as transparent.

J
Old 03-11-02, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Tandem
Two rear speakers make it easier to discern sounds coming from the rear. With one speaker directly behind, some people interpret the sound as coming from in front of them.
This is one of the major keys in having two instead of one speaker behind you.

In a 10.2 system, there's like a zillion (okay, maybe not that many) speakers arranged in the front of the listening position, and I think only the same 4 speakers in the rear. So I think 2 on the side and 2 behind the listener is going to be the norm for a while. Even if the 10.2 system gets adopted.
Old 03-14-02, 08:20 PM

6.1 or 7.1, none of those are adquate because with such set up the speakers are only placed in two dimensions. You can not hear the sound from above or from below. You can not hear sound from front right, front center or front left, etc. There are alway people who claim they have better ears .
Old 03-15-02, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by metrician
6.1 or 7.1, none of those are adquate because with such set up the speakers are only placed in two dimensions. You can not hear the sound from above or from below. You can not hear sound from front right, front center or front left, etc. There are alway people who claim they have better ears .
What about sounds from BEHIND you? I definitely can tell when someone is walking behind me... and I don't claim to have "better" ears or hearing.
Old 03-15-02, 10:27 AM

Master3 is correct. In a 7.1 system, you are gaining an extra channel of amplification to drive a second rear speaker. However, the information that speaker receives is identical to the output going to the 6th channel, in other words, the 6th and 7th (rear surrounds) are recieving a mono signal, not a stereo signal, so you are not missing out on any encoded information by going with a 6.1 setup. To me , the effect of 7.1 would be most benifical in a larger room, and to diffuse the sound coming from behind you so you can't pinpoint it's location, but you could run a y-splitter off the 6th channel to two speakers and accomplish the same effect.
Old 03-15-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

metrician,

Speakers above or in the center of the room may not be that far away. In the signal of two surround channels there is room for an extra couple or matrixed speakers (ala Pro-logic) which may indeed add an above speaker.

I think this may be a bit of overkill especially in the average home environment, but I will still give it a whirl if it ever does materialize

J
Old 03-15-02, 06:51 PM

So my thought would be buy the system according to your buget. No setup will ever be future proof. Once you there are speakers sound from above and below, people will come up with ideas to build system that concerns distance - I, like jinhopark, can sure tell sound from different distance so that is improvement. By that time we will have speakers in all directions and different distance. We will sit in the center of an array of speakers scattered all around us - can't wait for that to come .