Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Panasonic RA60?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-20-02, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gotten the new Panasonic RA60 yet? If so, your thoughts on it? Likes and dislikes?
Old 02-20-02, 08:11 PM

I've had one for ~3 months

Good:
- Great picture
- Well built
- Has every connection I needed
- Internal DD/DTS decoder works very well
- DVD-Audio was a nice bonus, plus it comes with a Barenaked Ladies DVD-Audio disc, and "Meet the Parents" DVD.
- Hasn't burped at any (problem) DVD I've tried (compared to my old Apex, which needed Prozac to play some DVDs)

Not-so-great (not exactly bad):
- No way to show remaining time in regular DVD-Video mode. Apparently this is common to some other Panasonic models
- DVD-Audio lack of software

I bought this model because it had exactly what I needed, and came in silver, and it was a Panasonic. Didn't buy it for the DVD-Audio capabilities, but had a receiver with analog inputs to support it, so why not
Picture quality is really amazing, and although I came from an Apex player before, I've read some other people state it's probably one of the best non-progressive scan players out there.

For some more feedback/reviews, go to audioreview.com, and do a search on avsforums as well.
Old 03-03-02, 11:46 PM

As far as DVD performance I think the RA60 has an above average picture. It has ton's of video adjustments including a cinema, normal and user mode. User mode allows an infinite number of picture adjustment choices.

If you are not going to listen to music on this player then you will be fine. But, if you want to use it for music then you would probably be better off looking elsewhere. I could not get any of my CDR's or MP3's to work correctly on this player. When I could get them to work I hear all kinds of pops and clicks.
Old 03-04-02, 12:18 PM
mdX

FWIW, I've had no problems playing CD-Rs on my RA-60. And the inclusion of the two DVDs Torgo mentioned are subject to where you purchase it from (if you get it from Crutchfield you get them, Etronics you do not)
Old 03-05-02, 02:50 PM

My MP3 discs have worked fine. They take a little long to load, but once it does I can go from track to track very quickly. Have had no extraneous noise either. However, I've noticed that with certain DVDs the machine vibrates pretty strongly when starting to read, then subsides when the movie starts. Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-06-02, 12:40 PM
mdX

Originally posted by The Escapist
My MP3 discs have worked fine. They take a little long to load, but once it does I can go from track to track very quickly. Have had no extraneous noise either. However, I've noticed that with certain DVDs the machine vibrates pretty strongly when starting to read, then subsides when the movie starts. Anyone else notice this?
no, but I have my LD player on top of my RA-60
I think it did vibrate a little more than it should have when it was on top