DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Another HT setup question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/184750-another-ht-setup-question.html)

Cusm 02-17-02 08:10 PM

Another HT setup question

I am in the process of updating my 6 year old system to a new 5.1/DTS setup.
I currently have a set of bose AM-5s with a old Pioneer 453 receiver. I plan on getting speakers first, followed by the receiver. I am planning on getting the Yamaha HTR-5460, JBL S-38 Bookshelves for the fronts, JBL S-Center. I am looking for suggestions for a sub and rears. I am thinking of using the AM-5's for the surrounds, minus the bass box, as this will cost me nothing and I like their size and white color for the surrounds. As for subs I am looking at the JBL PB12 and the Sony SAWM40.
I prefer to stick with these product line, as I can get a good discount on them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sonicflood 02-17-02 09:45 PM

You should NOT use the AM-5 speakers without the Acoustimass module!!!! It (Acoustimas module) has an internal crossover and protection circuitry built in for the cubes! BTW.. It is NOT a subwoofer!!!!

You should connect the rear speaker outputs from the receiver to the inputs on the Acoustimass module, then connect the cubes to the outputs on the Acoustimass module. Connect the Sony or JBL Subwoofer to the sub out on the receiver and set the rear speakers to SMALL!

The Acoustimass module produces bass (not subwoofer lows though) and mid bass. It is an integral part of the Acoustimass 5 speaker system. You WILL harm the cubes if you connect them directly to the receiver!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me!

Sincerely,

Sonicflood:)

Cusm 02-17-02 10:28 PM

Thanks. I know it is not a true sub, but I did not know if it would be needed if I used the cubes just for surounds or not.

Master J 02-17-02 11:04 PM

If you have the money, I would suggest going for the JBL s26. My setup right now is very similar to what you are getting...I am running s38 for mains, s-center, and an infinity sub.

Before buying the s26 a couple months ago, I was using smallish KEF speakers for surrounds, but thought they were lacking something so I decided to upgrade. After getting the s26, it was like a night and day difference. They are timbre matched with the rest of my speakers and have alot more extension compared to the KEF.

The only downside to the s26 is they are a bit on the largish size compred to the stereotypical surround speaker. If size is a concern you could always get the s36 which are a little more expensive but give you more mounting options. I will probably pick up a pair of them myself for rear center duty once I get my EX setup complete (6 channel Parasound amp in on the way, time to spend more money ;)). I hope this clears some things up, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. You are going to be very satisfied with the JBL Studio series.

J

Cusm 02-18-02 07:53 PM

Thanks Master. I have a friend with S38's on all 4 corners and it sounds awesome. I would go this route as well, but our current house is lacking in room for the rears. I will probably end up get another pair of the S38s when we get another house. I will also check out the S36's to see how those will fit. After talking with some people, I will probably go with the Cerwin or Sony sub, there seems to be a few problems with the JBL subs.
I would tell you what I can get the JBL's for, but it would probably make you sick.