DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   OK guys and gals need some help on a new receiver. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/184408-ok-guys-gals-need-some-help-new-receiver.html)

TheKobra 02-16-02 09:18 AM

OK guys and gals need some help on a new receiver.

OK, its been about 2 years and it is now time to upgrade. I currently have a sony 555ES LInk to review and now I need another receiver. I was to stay around $650.00 shipped. Should I get the Yamaha RXV-1000 or go with a Denon 2802. Or is there something else I should be looking at. Any help would be great.

discostu1337 02-16-02 10:13 AM

You should take your $650 and go to an authorized dealer, as opposed to getting screwed on the web with some B-stock. Unless you fell like paying another $200 in a year when it breaks :) And don't buy Denon.

skar 02-16-02 10:52 AM

I really like the Denon 2802. The Yamaha isn't a bad receiver either.

Others to look at:

Onkyo TX-DS696 (probably my choice in your price range)
Outlaw Audio 1050

If you research first, buying on the web can be great and same you a lot of money.

PlumPeach 02-16-02 08:32 PM

I needed a new receiver after the center channel on my old Sony Pro Logic went out. Actually it still played fine in phantom mode, but that's not how I explained it to the wife. She felt sorry for me and bought me the Denon 2802 for Valentine's Day. I was kind of shocked since the only thing I bought her was the Pretty Woman DVD.
Anyway I love everthing about the 2802. Great power and clean sound. I thought it was easy to set up, and Dolby Pro Logic II is great for television viewing. Some people complain about the remote, but it doesn't bother me at all. Everything about this receiver is excellent - I can't find a flaw. Definitely buy from an authorized dealer - might pay more, but at least you have piece of mind that you have a good product and warranty.

TheKobra 02-16-02 09:01 PM

I purchased my sony 555ES on the net about 18 months ago. I saved over $400.00 buy going that way. Also, if you call (let say Yamaha) and ask if (let say) digital4you is an authorized dealer they will tell you Yes or No. That way you know if you are getting a warranty and if it is a "gray" item. I just was looking for a little help. I know you can get taken on the net but with others helping on their prior purchases always helps. Thanks so far.

jumbojp 02-16-02 09:33 PM

Another vote for the 2802 here:)

A while back I upgraded from a DPL receiver to an Onkyo 575 receiver and the difference was amazing. The upgrade from DPL to DD was well wort it.

When I upgraded from the Onkyo to the Denon I didn't expect that much of a difference considering it was the same format receiver except for DPLII, but I was wrong.

My Paradigm speakers have never sounded better! They are clear and bright(a bit too bright sometimes, but not bothersome)Even the LFE output seems to be cleaner. My subs are alot tighter and accurate than before even though I am using the same power amp with them. The internal crossover is probably a higher dB/octave or something.

Setup is a breeze as long as you have done it before with another DD/DTS receiver, otherwise the sheer magnitude of options may overwhelm you. The internal test tones are excellent and got me within about 1 dB of calibrating it using AVIA, the surrounds were the only channels off and only by 2 dB!

Take a look at your local dealer, they may be able to come down alot in price. My dealer came down to $625 from the $800 sticker on it.

I am a big online buyer becasue I refuse to pay retail prices. All the online places that were cheaper($525+ shipping was the cheapest I found) were not "authorized" by Denon and thus Denon would not honor the warranty.

Those cheap places also get horrible reviews for CS and rarely honor warranties( www.resellerratings.com ) and I didn't want to chance having a problem.

Even if the store does agree to a replacement the shipping back and forth to get a replacement would have taken away the bargain anyway.

Bottom line, if you can save $200-300 online and you can live with the risk go for it. If you will only save $50-100 then buy it locally!