Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a Toshiba 50H81 RPTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to make a quick decision whether to buy a Toshiba 50H81 50" 16X9 TV. I can pick one up today for $2099. They are throwing in free a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player and a Sony (don't know the model) DD, DTS receiver. They also offer a 5 year extended warranty for $350, half refunded if never used after 5 years. Free delivery too.
It is from a local company that has been around a long time.

They also have an open box Mitsubishi HD decoder for $150.

Can somebody talk me out of this?

Thanks
Old 02-13-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn...nice price.

I'm getting mine for $2499 and that even beats the Best Buy price of $2549 around here.

And I don't even get any extras

Go for it...

If you can wait 5 hours...I'll let you know if I'm happy with it. It should be here in 3
Old 02-13-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
That sounds like a deal. I am trying to decide betweent the Toshiba,Pioneer,Panny and the Mitsubushi.
Old 02-13-02, 12:59 PM

Thanks all.
I have about 6 hours to decide. After that I can still get the TV for $2099, but not the extras. I need a progressive scan player anyway, but not a receiver.

This is just a boatload of money to me and I don't want to make a bad decision.
Old 02-13-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check out the Toshiba forum at www.hometheaterspot.com if you haven't already done so. Most folks appear to be quite happy with them

2 more days before the 57h81 arrives
Old 02-13-02, 08:45 PM

Thanks IEB for the link. Most people seemed to complain about the glare on the 50H81 so I bought the 50HX81 for $200 more.
Old 02-14-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gumby
Thanks IEB for the link. Most people seemed to complain about the glare on the 50H81 so I bought the 50HX81 for $200 more.
Yeah...thats the one I have on order too....HX81. Didn't arrive yesterday as planned. The delivery man had van trouble. Should be here today sometime.

Has the built in screen if I recall the specs when I ordered it.
Old 02-14-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gumby...

That was a pretty good deal. You can always e*ay the receiver for some cash.

Did you pick up the HD decoder as well?

The HX line does have a supposedly better "anti-glare" screen when compared to the H series. However, many people still report problems with glare, but fix it completely by restacking the screens. Not a good idea if you have kids or large pets, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

As someone else already pointed out, www.hometheaterspot.com is a great resource for information and tweaks for your new TV.

Some advice: as soon as you turn it on, reduce the brightness and contrast from "torch mode" to about 50. You can then use a calibration DVD like Avia or Video Essentials to calibrate brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc. to the correct levels.

After a few hours of use, you'll also want to do a 56 point convergence from the service menu. This made a fantastic difference on my 57H81.

Enjoy!
Old 02-14-02, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the tips Sockmonkey. I will make a thorough check at www.hometheaterspot.com before I turn the thing on.

There was a BIG difference between the glare on the 2 TVs at the store. With both turned off the H81 was like a mirror, the HX81 was quite dark. I know you can get the anti-glare screen for about $200, so it seemed like I might as well just get the screen on it in the first place.

The decoder they had was for a specific Mitsubishi TV, but they said they do clear out ones that will work with my set and they would let me know when they get one in.

I don't have a setup disc like AVIA, but I do have Castaway and noticed there was something on there. Would that be any good?

Thanks
Old 02-15-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gumby
I don't have a setup disc like AVIA, but I do have Castaway and noticed there was something on there. Would that be any good?

Thanks
I have Castaway, but I honestly can't remember what type of AV setup was on there. If it's one of the THX calibrations, then it will probably do a pretty good job.

You can usually find Video Essentials or Avia for about $20.
IMO, they are well worth the "investment", since they each have full audio and video calibration utilities as well as more test material than you'll know what to do with
Old 02-16-02, 09:29 AM

I too am considering a Toshiba RPTV. I started out looking at the 42H81 (which would be a better fit for my room), then started looking at the 50H81 and am now considering the 50HX81.

The differences I found between the H81 and the HX81 is the following:

The HX81 has the Built-in High Contrast Theater Shield AR with Anti-Reflective Coating, the H81 only has a Built-in High Contrast Theater Shield.

The HX81 has a High Contrast PowerFocus HCF Lens System, the H81 has a High Contrast PowerFocus HC Lens System - don't know what the difference is there, but the HCF sounds better, right?!?

The HX81 has PowerFocus HD Plus CRTs, the H81 has PowerFocus HD CRTs - again, I don't know what the difference is there, but the Plus sounds better, right?!?

Finally, the HX81 appears to have some better audio features (who uses the TVs internal speakers?!?) and a better remote control.

Hope this helps - hopefully I will make my decision soon and get the HX81 for the price I want to pay