Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So... Who has the WORST home theater set-up??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-07-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start the ball rolling, I have a 27" tv, that usually has a concave picture )_( when it isn't actually oscillating from concave to the full picture. The tv only has coax input, so I go through my vcr.
I have a Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc player, but the remote died a couple of months ago (or the infrared reciever on the unit,) and an Apex AD-600a DVD (with the region/macrovision menu.)
I have a couple of VCRs that are starting to show their age, although one is 4 head hi-fi stereo, and gets the video and one set of audio inputs from the DVD.
My sound goes through two (2!) different 8-track receivers plugged into the two sets of jacks on the DVD player. The first one is our ancient home stereo (phono, 8-track recorder, radio) and runs the front speakers. The second one is a standalone 8-track player with aux. inputs, and runs the rear speakers.

All of this does fairly well to play my 350 laserdiscs and 150 DVDs, and is pretty good for TV watching.
Old 02-07-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a Bose speaker system

I WIN!
Old 02-07-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in college and very poor. (Paying my own way thankyou very much, no daddy check here)

TV and Speakers
In my room I have a 19" Craig TV I found in the basement of the house I live in. (free ) It has no built in speakers. I have the audio out wired to two pioneer 6x9's from my old car. (free as well)

DVD player and accessories
My DVD player is from my PC through a video out capable card to a pioneer reciever (its not bad) i bought for 50 bucks from some kid. And finally I have a Gamecube. (200 bucks, but well worth it)

Maybe i can borrow a friends digicam, and show you just how pathetic it looks.

Peace.
Old 02-07-02, 11:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
This is one of the best threads I've ever read!
Old 02-08-02, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by jumbojp

I WIN!
I've got the fantastic speakers that came in my cheap RCA 31" tv from Wal-Mart.

My wife said I could get a surrond sound system after I buy her new furniture for the living room.

I guess I will have to get used to the speakers in the tv. I may be using them for some time.
Old 02-08-02, 05:19 AM

Wow, You guys make my system sound like one straight out of Widescreen Review Magazine. You people are the true movie lovers. Which one of you has that couch from the Dell Computer commercial in your theatre room?
Old 02-08-02, 08:12 AM
dgc

I've got you guys beat. My home theater consists of peering out my kitchen window to look through my neigbors windows and watch their home theater. Only problem is I only have audio in the warmer months when they open their window.
Old 02-08-02, 08:37 AM

My couch is about 10 years old and was in here when i moved in. I spent about a whole day cleaning it when i first moved in.
Old 02-08-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is starting to sound like a true confessions thread. And I like it.

To keep in the spirit of the thread...

wait for it

I don't have DTS.
Old 02-08-02, 09:41 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by stevevt
I don't have DTS.
Big deal.

I don't have DD.
Old 02-08-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeffdsmith is definately in the lead from my point of view

I was just joking about the Bose speakers, I am not that clueless

I think anyone that may have 6"x9" car speakers hanging from the ceiling on a plant hanger by the speaker wires, old car seats on the floor for furniture and old truck rims for end tables will take the prize!

Anyone got that killer setup?
Old 02-08-02, 03:47 PM
X
Administrator

I think anyone that may have 6"x9" car speakers hanging from the ceiling on a plant hanger by the speaker wires, old car seats on the floor for furniture and old truck rims for end tables will take the prize!

Anyone got that killer setup?
I wish!
Old 02-08-02, 10:20 PM

I'm working on this picture thing, just need to locate some ftp space. Truth be told, for the amount of money I've spent it's really not that bad at all. The craig TV gives me surprisingly good picture. Anyway, I'll get back to you.
Old 02-09-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am pretty close. I have a 20 inch Panasonic TV and Toshiba 2109 DVD player. My Receiver is a Pioneer 509-whatever it's called

Here is where it really get's bad. I have two floorstanding KLH speakers as my fronts which I got for $50 each at Best Buy about a year ago. I only got them because they are big and look cool. Right now my center channel speaker is one of the sony bookshelves that came with my 7 year old mini stereo system. I have no idea what my rear speakers are because they have no brand name on them. I have a feeling they belonged to my dad back in the 70s or early 80s. But they are pretty heavy little buggers and are made out of metal so that tricks me into thinking they are quality.

Oh yeah, and I only get broadcast TV
Old 02-09-02, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haa haa haa... I can't stop laughing....
This post rule!
Old 02-09-02, 10:56 AM
wiz

IF I had a new TV I would be set, but I have an old 27" with only a coax connection also. I have the receiver and speakers, just lacking in the TV department, and waiting til I buy a house to get me a big one, maybe plasma if the price ever comes down.
Old 03-06-02, 02:07 PM

My old setup wasn't terrible, but was pretty funny looking...I had three huge crappy pioneer speakers across the front as the right, left, and center speakers, with a 19" tv perched on the center one. Pretty much everyone who saw it was like, "WTF?!?" You kinda had to have seen it. Let me try to illustrate...

Like that.

Last edited by Mister Beefhead; 02-09-03 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-06-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I WIN!
My condolences.

I would rather use the tv speaker.
Old 03-06-02, 02:29 PM
Banned

I got a pink Barbie 6" B/W TV (stole this from my cousin when she wasn't looking) hooked up to a transistor radio (found this beauty in passenger compartment of a rented Astro van). If you sit real close to the screen and put the radio up to your ear, its like you are in a movie theater, but not really.
Old 03-06-02, 02:30 PM

I bought a 27 inch crosley TV for $100.00 from an auction and it worked fine until while moving it just after installing it it fell out of the entertainment center and now has a big green bar down the center of the screen. SO i have about a 2000.00 dollar surround sound systen with 200 dvds for better picture and sound quality, with a big green bar down the center of the screen.( I am currently saving for a new tv though).

)
Old 03-06-02, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
I got a pink Barbie 6" B/W TV (stole this from my cousin when she wasn't looking) hooked up to a transistor radio (found this beauty in passenger compartment of a rented Astro van). If you sit real close to the screen and put the radio up to your ear, its like you are in a movie theater, but not really.
awesome, that's dedication...
Old 03-07-02, 09:21 AM

lol.. this post is hilarious
Old 03-07-02, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by joshd2012
Sorry, you lose because you hooked them up with a $350 optical cable. Bzzzzzt.

Old 03-07-02, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

I have a 19 Color with rabbit ears made from tin foil. I opened it up and wrapped a speaker wire around each terminal on the internal speaker and then connected it to a pair on headphone speakers that I put in paper cups on top of the set!

(I just got DTS steve )
Old 03-07-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bfrank
(I just got DTS steve )
DTS, in the form of a new receiver or pre/pro is my next upgrade. Already started putting money aside for it and everything. Of course, it'll be coming at the same time as 6-channel (or at least 6 channel capability), DPL-II, and a whole lot of other stuff. Maybe even better sound.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.