Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Calibration of, and Extended Warranties on, RPTVs

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-06-02, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am real close to buying a widecsreen HD-ready RPTV. While I am still undecided, I am leaning towards the Mitsu WT-46809 over the Toshiba 42H81 and the Panny PT-47WX51.

Anyway, just how difficult are these things to calibrate? I have the Avia disc and will use it - is this enough? I stopped over at www.hometheaterspot.com and was overwhelmed by the amount of "tweaks" everyone recommends.

Finally, are extended warranties on these worth it? I wouldn't even consider it on a tube TV but I have no experience with RPTVs. I can get a 5 year warranty for $349 which includes an annual tech visit to "tune up" the TV. Worth it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I gather, using Avia or VE work perfectly well to do the 9-point convergence

You can also use them to do the 56-point convergence, but I myself am leaning towards having that done by a pro - I have also looked through the tweaks lists at the Spot, and it all seems a bit intimidating, plus I don't really have the inclination to create convergence grids and whatnot

Just remember: when you get your TV, the first thing to do after turning it on is to lower the contrast from "torch mode"
Old 02-06-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am still about 6 months away from getting the toshiba that i have my eye on buy my biggest problem with getting professional calibration is that i live in the bustling metropolis of waco texas and i get the feeling that there aren't any reputable people around here.

as for the warranty, i would lean towards yes, just because of the simple fact that as much as these things cost it would give me peace of mind to have them covered for as long as possible.
Old 02-06-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kevin75
i am still about 6 months away from getting the toshiba that i have my eye on buy my biggest problem with getting professional calibration is that i live in the bustling metropolis of waco texas and i get the feeling that there aren't any reputable people around here.

as for the warranty, i would lean towards yes, just because of the simple fact that as much as these things cost it would give me peace of mind to have them covered for as long as possible.
http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm

Do a search for Texas. Not sure where the nearest dealer to you is, since I'm not too familiar with TX cities and towns. Anything closer than Dallas on that list? Even still 100 miles isn't out of the question -- you might get someone to come that far for a little extra cash.
Old 02-07-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I usually don't go for extended warranties because I know 95% is pure profit for the retailer. But When I bought my 55" Mits the warranty was $250 so I couldn't pass it up. I'm also looking forward to having a professional setup. I used Video Essentials and looked over HTS.com but I also thought it was more tchnical than I was ready to tackle.