Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Nakamichi Soundspace 10: An Impression.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Nakamichi Soundspace 10: An Impression.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nakamichi Soundspace 10: Integrated HT Receiver/DVD/5.1 Satellite Speakers

I set up this system for my father this weekend. He got it through a friend who used to work for a big electronics store that went bellyup at wholesale price (@$3000) Retail price is $5000 and for an additional $700 a pair of aluminum looking speaker stands! Being an offer from a friend my father didn't even test out the unit before taking delivery. Sounded like good deal, well.........

The thing was easy to install being an integrated system. I purchased the Monster surge protector Stage 1, Monster speaker cables, and Monster S-video cable for his setup. SS 10 consists of an amp unit, integrated DVD/CD 5 disc changer, 5 satellite speakers, two subwoofers, and two sep. remote controls. Its capable of DD 5.1 and DTS.

For testing I used The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story (for the THX intro and the Optimode), Amadeus, and Gladiator. The sound was clear but lacked the emotional heart in your throat punch of even my modest system (see signature). I cranked the Sub level to max (+10), set the center to +5, rear surrounds to +10, but alas no adjustment level for the main fronts?! Despite these adjustments the thing just lacked the punch of even less expensive systems. The SS10 sounds like other fancy looking made-for-yuppie-condo integrated units (see Bose/Bang & Olufson). The sound is clear and bright but lacks the warmth of even less expensive satellite set-ups by Boston, Energy, or Polk.

But the bigger disappointment was the fact it doesn't have 5 Ch Stereo for CD music, and the tuner. Instead a bunch of useless modes like "Natural" "Hall" or "Stadium". They assumed since the speaker had 5 speakers everything was supposed to come out of the 5 speakers.

I thought about trying to convince my father to return the system so I'd get him a nice Denon or Onkyo receiver and Energy Encore sat system. But the problem is Nakamichi is a brand name like "Rolex" or "Mercedes Benz" and for him its better than a name that he doesn't recognize that performs better. Its also favor a friend did for him so unfortunately he's stuck with it now.

My fathers' satisfied with this system being his first HT system and the fact he owns a Nakamichi. And I guess thats what counts. Still, I'm a little steamed such a mediocre system could lure newbies like my father (even for $3,000)

Last edited by Ian11; 02-04-02 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-04-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be happy for your dad. You can do A LOT worse than a Nakamichi system. Neither B&O or Nak's systems really should ever be mentioned in the same breath as Bose. Looking at their literature, they never claim to be the last name in sound quality, just good sound and awesome looks. They don't make crazy claims about their products. Stuff sure looks cool too.