DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   A few BASIC subwoofer questions--Please help (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/180342-few-basic-subwoofer-questions-please-help.html)

uteotw 02-02-02 02:36 PM

A few BASIC subwoofer questions--Please help

I bought a decent 100-watt Yamaha subwoofer as an open box at Best Buy recently.
However, it did not come with a manual, and the BB guy was a little clueless, so I was hoping someone could tell me how to best set it up. I have it hooked up and in a good spot but am not sure what all the settings are for:
1. On the front there is a "high cut" knob that turns from 50hz to 150hz.
2. Also on the front there is volume, which I think I can figure out.
3. On the back there is a switch that can be set at either NOM or REV.
4. Also there's an "auto-standby switch that can either be set to high or low.
That's it, but if someone could tell me what settings are generally best to use (or at least what some of these mean), I'd greatly appreciate it.
THANKS!

jumbojp 02-02-02 02:51 PM

I don't use powered subs, but I'll give it a shot;)

1. The "high cut" knob sounds like an adjustable crossover. Where you position it will be your crossover point. The standard is about 80-100Hz.

2. Have your receivers sub channel level at the 0 position and adjust the subs volume to match the rest of your speaker. Then fine tune the sub using the receivers sub channel level

3. The Nom/Rev switch sounds like a phase switch which is also expressed on other subs as 0°/180°. Finish tuning the sub by doing the crossover and volume settings and then listen to it. Flip the phase switch and listen again. Chose which setting sounds best to you.

4. Don't know exactly, but sounds like an "auto-shut off" feature to shut the sub off when it doesn't receive a signal for a certain period of time. Don't know how the high and low option works though.

edclem 02-02-02 10:56 PM

Originally posted by jumbojp
I don't use powered subs, but I'll give it a shot;)

1. The "high cut" knob sounds like an adjustable crossover. Where you position it will be your crossover point. The standard is about 80-100Hz.

2. Have your receivers sub channel level at the 0 position and adjust the subs volume to match the rest of your speaker. Then fine tune the sub using the receivers sub channel level

3. The Nom/Rev switch sounds like a phase switch which is also expressed on other subs as 0°/180°. Finish tuning the sub by doing the crossover and volume settings and then listen to it. Flip the phase switch and listen again. Chose which setting sounds best to you.

4. Don't know exactly, but sounds like an "auto-shut off" feature to shut the sub off when it doesn't receive a signal for a certain period of time. Don't know how the high and low option works though.

he's right. :)

I don't know what the high/low setting on the auto shutoff would be, either.

have you tried the Yamaha website to dl a new manual?

uteotw 02-04-02 12:11 PM

THANKS.
I did get the manual from the website but it wasn't particularly helpful.
To clarify, what is the "adjustable crossover"? What does this do? Is it the point at which the subwoofer picks up low level sounds?
I THINK the high/low deal on the standby switch is the level of sensitivity at which it is supposed to kick back in after being on standby, but this doesn't seem to work that well (just doesn't seem to turn back on much of the time, unfortunately). So I guess I'll just turn it on when I need it.
Thanks again for the input, and any additional tips are well appreciated.

buttscratcher9~ 02-04-02 02:58 PM

Originally posted by uteotw
...I THINK the high/low deal on the standby switch is the level of sensitivity at which it is supposed to kick back in after being on standby, but this doesn't seem to work that well (just doesn't seem to turn back on much of the time, unfortunately). So I guess I'll just turn it on when I need it.
Thanks again for the input, and any additional tips are well appreciated.

I have the same sub. I'm not 100% sure of all the details about the crossover stuff, but that's what I understand it to be.

As far as the Hi/LO/Off switch. YES, this is the sensitivity for STANDBY. I usually have mine on HIGH so it will pick up (and turn on) at the higher freq's. I too have a prob...er...inconvience of the sub turning off after the "time out" during dialog movies or TV. :( I have on stndby 95% of the time, but when I WANT full time sub, I'll just turn the SENSE sw. off so the sub will be constantly on.

Play with your "cutoff" for awhile, I have mine set kinda high for my setup. I'm still playing...good luck.

Steve

uteotw 02-05-02 12:09 PM

Originally posted by buttscratcher9~

I have the same sub. I'm not 100% sure of all the details about the crossover stuff, but that's what I understand it to be.

As far as the Hi/LO/Off switch. YES, this is the sensitivity for STANDBY. I usually have mine on HIGH so it will pick up (and turn on) at the higher freq's. I too have a prob...er...inconvience of the sub turning off after the "time out" during dialog movies or TV. :( I have on stndby 95% of the time, but when I WANT full time sub, I'll just turn the SENSE sw. off so the sub will be constantly on.

Play with your "cutoff" for awhile, I have mine set kinda high for my setup. I'm still playing...good luck.

Steve

Thanks! That helps immensely.