Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Tivo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Tivo

I was at Circuit City in Long Beach last night, and I was looking at one of the DirecTivo units. When I asked the sales rep about it, he said that Tivos have been pulled off the market, and they are no longer making them. My only choice was to buy an Ultimate Tv. After some more questions the rep then said that Sony wasn't making Tivo's. So which is it? Are Tivo's still being made? Can I still get a DirecTivo unit somewhere else? Where would be a good place to get one?
Old 01-31-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Question about Tivo

Originally posted by alexkat
I was at Circuit City in Long Beach last night, and I was looking at one of the DirecTivo units. When I asked the sales rep about it, he said that Tivos have been pulled off the market, and they are no longer making them. My only choice was to buy an Ultimate Tv. After some more questions the rep then said that Sony wasn't making Tivo's. So which is it? Are Tivo's still being made? Can I still get a DirecTivo unit somewhere else? Where would be a good place to get one?

www.tivocommunity.com

There's a forum specifically for DirecTivo units, though you won't find an official word if they are still being produced etc... I have a DirecTivo, purchased late December, and LOVE it.
Old 01-31-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony makes a tivo, the high-dollar, silver 30 hour one. I don't know if they STOPPED making it, but I just saw one at Best Buy the other day.
Old 01-31-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Sony makes a tivo, the high-dollar, silver 30 hour one. I don't know if they STOPPED making it, but I just saw one at Best Buy the other day.
That's the sony stand-alone tivo -- but they also have a model or two of DirectTivos as well.
Old 01-31-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think that circuit city guy knew what he was talking about. Was the ultimate TV set more expensive than the tivo you were looking at? You know those guys get paid on commission.
Old 01-31-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Actually, UltimateTV is the one who's had a shakeup lately. Microsoft shut down the UTV division completely last week.

Tivo is still in business and have a number of new products coming out, the Series 2 receivers.
Old 02-02-02, 12:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dstrauss
Actually, UltimateTV is the one who's had a shakeup lately. Microsoft shut down the UTV division completely last week.
Geez, that was fast! Didn't UTV just come out in December or something?
Old 02-05-02, 06:48 PM
Banned

Actually, I think they're rolling the Xbox and UTV divisions into one division and calling it something like the TV division or some such crap.

D-Tivo's are hard to find right now.. They sold a hell of a lot of them when they were basically giving them away for free. I think that a Series 2 D-Tivo is in the works, so they're letting the stock run down. The Series 2 boards look like they'll have support for a wider range of capabilities, both hardware and software. Also, the series 2 boards are much, much cheaper from a manufacturing point of view, so that makes sense.
Old 02-06-02, 06:40 AM
Cool New Member

The Series 2 are now on sale at www.tivo.com. According to my UPS tracking mine arrives today.!!!! YEAH!!!!
Old 02-06-02, 09:50 AM

let us all know how the series 2 is
Old 02-06-02, 12:39 PM

Well I'm in the Long Beach area, and it's really hard to find a DirecTivo. I see one available from American Satellite, its a Phillips 35 hr DSR6000R for $100. Is this a good product?
Old 02-06-02, 01:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by farscape66
The Series 2 are now on sale at www.tivo.com. According to my UPS tracking mine arrives today.!!!! YEAH!!!!
Gah... $400/unit! But with a 60-hr recording capacity, that isn't too bad.

TiVo good!
Old 02-06-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's differences are there other than capacity between series 1 & 2, is there a tivo out with 2 tuners yet?
Old 02-06-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
A Phillips DSR6000 for $100 is a great deal. That's the unit I have, and it sold for $400 originally.

WhattheFFF, yes, the DirecTV combo units have two tuners, and have had two since they came out. I frequently take advantage of the dual tuners.

The standalone boxes do not have dual tuners, as that would also require two encoding chips, which would raise the price of the unit considerably. (Which is why, I assume, neither UTV or Replay have dual tuner standalone boxes either.)
Old 02-07-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless I'm blind that Tivo 2 unit doesn't have optical out and for $400 they can keep it.

I'm trying to track down the Sony one at a decent price. It looks like 800.com was having a good sale on them, but is now out.