DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Comparison of nonamamorphic DVD on regular and enhanced TV (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/179378-comparison-nonamamorphic-dvd-regular-enhanced-tv.html)

TheOne 01-30-02 05:30 PM

Comparison of nonamamorphic DVD on regular and enhanced TV

I was wondering if anyone can answer this:

Currently I have a 27 inch TV. One day, I'll get a 32 - 40 inch 16x9 TV.

I have some nonamamorphic DVD (before I was enlightened) and they look decent on my 27 inch TV.

Now when I get a 16x9 TV, will the nonamamorphic picture quality look the same as the regular TV? Not talking about gray bars and stuff but the general picture quality.

Will it look worse than on the regular TV or same? I imagine the same since it is the same number of lines for resolution.

Anyone have a comparison picture of an nonamamorphic picture on a regular TV and then on a 16X9 TV?

Thanks

highdef 01-30-02 05:57 PM

I'm sorry to say that the images will not appear as sharp on a 16x9 set if the DVD is in fact a non-anamorphic transfer. You can of course utilize your zoom mode on the 16x9 set to adjust for the letterboxing accordingly, but the image will in fact appear more washedout and wanting in overall clarity. Anamorphically enhanced DVD's maximize the ultimate viewing experience for playback over 16x9 televisions.

Technically, 4x3 letterboxed films include the "black bar" portion of the picture as part of the DVD's overal lines of resolution. Anamorphically enhanced DVD's do not, therefore lines are only accountable in the actual picture portion. This makes a big difference in the overall playback quality. There are more technical aspects to the process, but the basics are represented here as to why YOU WANT ONLY anamorphic DVD's for playback over 16x9 televisions.

apowers 01-30-02 06:11 PM

No time like the present to upgrade to the anamorphic versions if available. I started about 8 months ago. I began selling all of the Non-anamorphic ones that I didn't want in that format, and buying the ones I really wanted in the anamorphic presentation. It was really not to bad money wise. A lot lessthan I thought it would be.

highdef 01-30-02 06:14 PM

Once you've seen the difference between the two, on a 16x9 set, you'll want to trade all of your non-anamorphic DVD's in.

RockyMtnBri 01-30-02 06:15 PM

I have to agree with highdef. Yesterday I had a demo of a Runco DLP projector (running a Kenwood progressive scan DVD player with Faroudja DCDi processing) with some source DVDs I brought myself:

Road Warrior - anamorphic 2.35:1; looked good although the transfer needs to be re-done now that Mad Max is out

The Mask - non-anamorphic 1.85:1; terrible image with lots of artifacting

Cartoon Crack-Ups - non-anamorphic 1.33:1 (full frame); very good image considering source material

Final Fantasy - anamorphic 1.85:1; excellent picture

Yellow Submarine - non-anamorphic 1.66:1; needed DCDi to clean up stairstepping, little submarine at the beginning held its form but breaks up when running interlaced

I knew about the differences, but after seeing them I am an even greater advocate for anamorphic transfers.

Adboy151 01-30-02 07:14 PM

As I think this leans more to hardware discussion than to non-anamorphic DVDs, moving to the DVD & Home Theater Hardware forum.

Thanks,
- C

gross@iastate 01-30-02 08:36 PM

I watched Crimson Tide on my 16:9 with a progressive scan player and it looked worse than a video tape.

TheOne 01-30-02 09:28 PM

Thanks, I know all that.

What I am getting at is some movies will never be upgraded to anamorphic by the studio.

So if it looks decent on my 27" standard TV, will the image look the same on a 16X9 TV?
You know, some reviews said it looks good (nonanamorphic) but it would have been better if the studio made it anamorphic.

I know anamorphic is better, but given the above situation, can anyone answer my question or provide a comparison of a nonanamorphic picture on a standard TV and 16X9 TV?

Thanks again.