DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

speaker question

Old 01-30-02, 08:04 AM

speaker question

Would it matter if the left, center, and right speakers are 6 ohm while the surround speakers are 8 ohms. I was wondering if this could damage the receiver in any way?
Old 01-30-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It depends on what your receiver can handle. If it is rated at 8ohms I would use only 8ohm speakers. You can damage your receiver if the impedence is not matched.
Old 01-30-02, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot
It depends on what your receiver can handle. If it is rated at 8ohms I would use only 8ohm speakers. You can damage your receiver if the impedence is not matched.

The receiver is a Denon AVR681. It has a rating for 6 ohm speakers and for 8 ohm speakers. I just didn't know if they could be used at the same time.
Old 01-30-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Vaughn

The receiver is a Denon AVR681. It has a rating for 6 ohm speakers and for 8 ohm speakers. I just didn't know if they could be used at the same time.
Yep you can use them at the same time if it's rated for it. Each output stage is seperate from one another so you are not going to create a load on the stage by using 6ohm and 8 ohm speakers.
Old 01-30-02, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot

Yep you can use them at the same time if it's rated for it. Each output stage is seperate from one another so you are not going to create a load on the stage by using 6ohm and 8 ohm speakers.

Cool. Thanks.