Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with DVD Player not working

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Pioneer 606 D that recently went belly up. I opened the case, turned it on, and discovered that the laser works fine, but the disc does not spin, so either the spinner motor, or the electronics controlling this have a problem. I would suspect motors, since they are generally notorious for dying on electronics in general in my past experience. My question : Is this an easy fix? Or should I start looking around for a new DVD player? Thanks for any help and advice.... If the advice is to get a new DVD player, I am in the military stationed overseas, and have the opportunity to purchase a Pioneer 533 which is a region free player. However, I have read that the new RCE will not work in these players... Is this really the case, or is that more for the "hacked" players? Thanks again.

Paul Ephron
Old 01-28-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My gut feeling is that it is not the parts that makes repairs expensive but the labor. If it is the motor and nothing else you are still putting a fair bit of money into an old player.

You may want to shop and see what you could replace it with.
Old 01-28-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go with a new player as well.

As for RCE and region code free players, generally it's the hacked players that do not have an issue with RCE discs as part of the hack is disabling the RCE controls. A non-hacked player should have working RCE controls and have problems playing RCE discs.
Old 01-28-02, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. I will get an estimate and if it is not too bad I will get it repaired. It plays (used to anyway) everything, even discs that friends have problems with glitches and freezes. I am a bit hesitant about getting an inexpensive player, as it would seem that these would more likely skip. Other than mail order, I have a relatively small selection to choose from generally ranging from $129 - $229 so I figure none of them can be that great. I will check the thread to see if there are any favorites out there.