DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Upgrading to HDTV

Old 01-27-02, 08:13 PM

Upgrading to HDTV

I am plannng on upgrading to HDTV within the next three weeks and would like to get some opinions on the sets I am scoping out. The list is as follows:

Hitachi 53UDX10B

Panasonic PT51HX41
(and the 56 and 61 inch versions)

Sony KP51HW40

Toshiba 50H71
and the 53 inch version)

In addition, I am interested in hearing from those of you that have a 16:9 television. I've heard of some sets having issues with 4:3 programs. Specifically, I know of at least one case (on Panasonic's $1999 47 inch set) where the white (gray?) bars thatare present during 4:3 viewing were being burned onto the screen. My friend got the set replaced with the Toshiba 50H71. Has anyone else out there had problems like this or any others? 16:9 sets are obviously much more impressivepiecesof equipment, but not if I have to worry about unnecessary hassles...
Old 01-27-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No problems with my 56" Panasonic RPTV 16:9 yet. I don't really watch it in 4:3 mode too much, the Just(ification) mode does well for me, stretching the picture out. And being that I found it for $1913 (including tax/delivery), I can't complain at all!
Old 01-27-02, 09:49 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought my Mitsu 46" 16:9 and did a lot of reasearch and side by side comparisons it's picture just stood out from the others. I bought mine for 1997 shipped and tax so I think I did really well too
Old 01-28-02, 10:52 AM

I did a lot of reasearch and decided to go with a 55" Mitsu 16:9. I've had no problems and the picture is excellent. I considered a 4:3 but Mitsu doesn't make 4:3 HDTVs any more.