DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Getting the most out of a subwoofer

Old 01-27-02, 08:03 PM

Getting the most out of a subwoofer

I bought a HT in a box this past summer. I really love it, it sounds really good, IMO.

It's the Panasonic one they always have at Circuit City for $500. (5 DVD changer XV-HTD510, and speaker system S-HTD510).

____________ <---TV and front speakers on this wall
|
| / <--sub here, facing corner
|
| <---computer desk here, close to corner
|
| |_| <--- primary listening area, surround speakers behind chair

Now, where I usually sit to watch DVD's or listen to tunes works pretty good, but most of the bottom end of the sub goes directly away from that corner. I'm thinking about taking out the computer desk, so more of the sub's waves aren't so blocked.

But is there anything else I should try? I'm a total bass freak, I crave that low-end rumbling. Any suggested tweaks (it's already at channel level +10, bass enhancement also on, all the way up on the EQ also).

It seems like simply moving the desk might do the trick. But I'll try anyone's suggestions also.
Old 01-27-02, 08:05 PM

Whoops, that's Pioneer, and not Panasonic.
Old 01-27-02, 08:29 PM

I was under the impression that a subwoofer was "unilateral", in that its position could be anywhere and the listener would still receive its full "punch"?

In any event, usually re-positioning doesn't do much for that low rumble you are looking for - I suspect its the power going to your sub plus the cpacaity that the sub can handle. IOW, since you bought a HTIB, it is matched for that set - and I have seen subs go for $500 and up alone (not that price always dictates quality), but I wouldn't expect much punch from a HTIB sub - esp. at that price simply because those setups usually don't provide for that extra "umph". I bought my HT as separates, mainly a Sony DE-845. The speakers are 3 year old Fisher tall boys that sound wonderfull (both 3-way) as well as two satellite sony's and a JBL center. The sub is also a Sony I pucked up last year (the model # escapes me) but I know its 100 watts (the difference bing $15 more than the 50 watt as I recall).

I can put the sub behind the couch wrapped in blankets and I still get that "rumble" when T-Rex makes his way to the Jeep in JP1 - so I don't think its a postioning issue, but more of a power vs. handling issue for you.
Old 01-27-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Getting the most out of a subwoofer

Originally posted by Cupelix
I bought a HT in a box this past summer. I really love it, it sounds really good, IMO.

But is there anything else I should try? I'm a total bass freak, I crave that low-end rumbling. Any suggested tweaks (it's already at channel level +10, bass enhancement also on, all the way up on the EQ also).

It seems like simply moving the desk might do the trick. But I'll try anyone's suggestions also.
Positioning of a sub is critical, but all the positioning in the world isn't going to make a sub do something it can't do. That 'rumble' you want to feel is caused by moving air, which is how a sub works: The bigger the sub, the more air it moves, and the more bass you get.

I'm not familiar with your sub and don't have any specs, but most HTIB set-ups are less then powerful in the low end. Bass is non-directional after a certain point, but higher frequency bass (approx 35>hz or so) is directional and can be pinpointed by placement.
In other words, I would recommend leaving the desk and ponying up for a bigger sub.
Old 01-28-02, 12:42 AM

I see. I KNOW it's not that the sub is too weak. It rattles the entire room even at moderate listening levels. (Unfortunately, I have neighbors and have been unable to REALLY push the system)

I think it's the way the furniture in my room is set up, and makes the bass lose a bit of clarity, but I can deal with that by sitting somewhere else.
Old 01-28-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, as stated above, bass IS omni-directional. The best way to see where the sub goes is to place it in your sitting location, pop in a DVD and then walk around the room and see where it sounds best. Then just place the sub there.

Have you calibrated the sub's signal output level yet? It may be on too high.
Old 01-28-02, 07:01 AM

It is usually suggested that the sub be put in the corner of a room so that the bass can reverbirate off the walls and give a good non-directional feel to it, so you should feel it the same no matter where you sit. I'd try placing the sub on the other side of the room and as close to the corner as you can. Hope this helps. I just got a new 12" sub, and it is great. When I was calibrated it and setting the Bass Peak Frequency (another thing you might want to check to check), I managed to violently shake the apartment furniture in the room above me. It was great. Turned it all the way up and watched the opening scene of Jurassic Park. It's a great test of your sub. You should really be able to feel the opening booms if you set it up right. Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-02, 11:16 PM

Yeah, setting the output levels...is that only a feature of powered subwoofers? Mine doesn't have any controls on the box.

Is there also a way to do this on some recievers? My sub is passive.
Old 01-29-02, 10:37 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's an inexpensive tweak to improve your subwoofer:

If your sub is the downfiring type and it sits on carpet, put a large ceramic tile or other hard flat surface underneath it. You'll increase your db and get a tighter punch from your sub.
Old 01-29-02, 01:58 PM

Doesn't it take like 10-15 feet for the sound, not necessarily the "feel" to develop for those low frequency sounds? It may not be weak, but if you stood further away from it you could hear it better.
Old 01-30-02, 12:26 AM

How do you know if it's downward firing?

In the specs, mine's listed as "bass-reflex floor type". Sounds like downward to me, but I don't know.
Old 01-30-02, 03:05 AM
0ne

the wiring that comes in HTiB set ups are usually pretty thin, unfortunately, since this is a passive sub, and you cant conect it using a good quality RCA cable replacing the spearker cabling with lower gauge wires may help some.

Monster Wire
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=783&scat=805

AR wire

Bannanna clips
Old 01-30-02, 07:54 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cupelix
How do you know if it's downward firing?

In the specs, mine's listed as "bass-reflex floor type". Sounds like downward to me, but I don't know.
If your speaker is on legs and your primary cone faces the floor.