DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Budget Front Tower Speakers??

Old 01-26-02, 08:59 PM
Cool New Member

Budget Front Tower Speakers??

I need opinions on a pair of budget front tower speakers, I was looking at PSB's I saw an older post where someone got some for around 170, But I don't know witch models or where the best place to get them would be. I'm looking to spend around no more than 200. Thanks

Any idea's?
Old 01-26-02, 10:42 PM

Not sure what part of the country you're in, but where I am I found an awesome pair of Celestion F30 3 way front's for $99 each at Ultimate Electronics (aka: Soundtrak).

I'm very happy with their sound for both HT and music.

Alfer
Old 01-27-02, 08:39 AM

Try www.axiomaudio.com
great speakers and very affordable. Check out the ratings at audioreview.com
Old 01-27-02, 11:30 AM
Banned

You can usually get the guys in the white vans down under $200 - they are decent speakers for that amount.

A friend of mine got a pain of KLH towers for under $200 - really good speakers for DVD usage, not so good for serious music listening.

There are also models from Sony and Yamaha under $200

Dave
Old 01-27-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PSB Towers for $170? I highly doubt it. Probably bookshelves.

The Paradigm Phantoms are the least expensive towers that I can recommend. They run about $400 a pair.

You really can get wonderful home theater sound from bookshelf speakers because the sub will be producing the lower frequencies anyway. I would avoid towers unless you decide to raise your budget. I also don't like inexpensive 3-way speakers because two quality crossovers cost a lot of money.
Old 01-28-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by skar
PSB Towers for $170? I highly doubt it. Probably bookshelves.

The Paradigm Phantoms are the least expensive towers that I can recommend. They run about $400 a pair.

You really can get wonderful home theater sound from bookshelf speakers because the sub will be producing the lower frequencies anyway. I would avoid towers unless you decide to raise your budget. I also don't like inexpensive 3-way speakers because two quality crossovers cost a lot of money.
I've gotta agree. As long as you've got a decent powered sub, you should be fine with some good bookshelf speakers. I picked up some Polk RT35i speakers this weekend(300 a pair) at Circuit City and they are fantastic. Great for movies but more importantly they sound great for music. I'm running them off an Onkyo 494 and I couldn't be happier with them.