DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Stupid Question #2: 2.35:1 Aspect and a full screen?

Old 01-25-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stupid Question #2: 2.35:1 Aspect and a full screen?

I was under the assumption that a DVD with 2.35:1 aspect would fill my 16x9 screen. It still left bars on top and bottom as did a 1:85:1 movie. I had the 16:9 mode on my DVD and Progressive output, so the TV could not be adjusted via the Aspect button...
Old 01-25-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A 2.35:1 film is wider (i.e., a longer rectangle) than a 1.85:1 film.

Note that the ratio of your screen is 16 by 9, which can also be expressed as 1.777777.... You can expect anything wider than 1.777777... to give you black bars on your set. There's only one fact I'm leaving out, which is that all sets have some degree of overscan, which means that the set will show only a % (although it's a very high %) of the picture.

So, therefore, you should expect wider bars when displaying a 2.35:1 film, compared to a 1.85:1 film, on your set.

To recap: 1.85:1 is slightly wider than 16:9. 2.35:1 is wider than 1.85:1 and 16:9.

Last edited by stevevt; 01-25-02 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-25-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since stevevt answered your question very well, I'd like to ask you a slightly off topic question. Your profile lists you as a senior member, and you seemed to have some knowledge of aspect ratios, so why did you assume that a 2.35 film would fill a 16x9 screen?

I only ask because I'm constantly amazed by seeing so many people dropping 2-3K on these sets to try and get rid of the black bars without doing any research. I can only assume a braindead electronics store salesguy is feeding them disinformation, but I'd really like to know.

Nothing personal, just really, really curious.

cheers
Old 01-25-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info..

No, not at all.. I didn't buy a RPTV 16:9 to get rid of the black bars, but to get a bigger, better picture and have a HDTV Ready set.

I think I misunderstood some info I read on aspects initally and asked the question knowing it would get cleared up for me.

As for one thing I did not know, I bought a JVC DVD player, apparently, the Toshiba 4700 would have been a better choice, as it can scale the progressive scan picture to fill the screen and keep the aspect ratio intact... my Panasonic 56" locks in Full mode during Progressive scan.

Oh, and I spent under $2k!
Old 01-26-02, 02:47 AM
Gomez

Originally posted by theedge
...As for one thing I did not know, I bought a JVC DVD player, apparently, the Toshiba 4700 would have been a better choice, as it can scale the progressive scan picture to fill the screen and keep the aspect ratio intact... my Panasonic 56" locks in Full mode during Progressive scan...
OK, gotta spread some knowledge here. I have a progressive scan JVC DVD player and it does scale. I also have a Panasonic 16:9 TV that locks into full during progressive. I also get small bars top/bottom on 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies.

So ... what gives, you ask?

First things first: the TV is 1.78:1 which is less wide than a 2.35:1 movie, and that will never change. You seem to have grasped that which is better than many people out there. Hence, the wider image of a 2.35:1 movie leaves bars on top/bottom.

Then what's up with the auto-scaling and why can I not get rid of these pesky bars you ask? Gee, you already understand that the 2.35:1 is wider than your TV so what do you want the DVD player to do - make the TV wider?

Seriously: auto-scaling is so that non-anamorphic widescreen movies can be displayed on a TV that locks to full in 480p, and furthermore displayed at the correct aspect ratio. The correct aspect ratio being BLACK BARS if the movie is 2.35:1.

OK, whatever, how is this different for non-anamorphic? Well, if you did not have the scaling then your TV would lock into full, and non-anamorphic is actually a letterboxed 4:3 source. You know, like those letterboxed VHS tapes and movies on those classic movie cable stations. There's much more to anamorphic DVD but I already explained it once this week and don't want to go there again. Search. Endeavor. Persevere.

Still don't get it? If you did not have scaling when you watched anything that was non-anamorphic but still widescreen, not only woud you get bars top/bottom, but also on the sides. That's what your auto-scaling does for you buddy: no bars on the sides.

If you insist upon having 2.35:1 movies completely fill your screen you have 2 options:

1- Turn progressive scan off on the DVD player and zoom your TV (thus losing material on the sides of the screen).

2- Buy a Malata 991 DVD player which will let you twist 2 handy dandy knobs to stretch the image sideways and vertically to fill the screen (which will give you a distorted image at 2.35:1 if you fill the screen and everything will look a tad skinny, essentially the opposite of your TV's "Just" mode).

Last edited by Gomez; 01-26-02 at 02:51 AM.