Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question #1: Video input to Home Theater?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does a home theater system have Video In and Out? This is kind of useless if I am using component video. What gets done with the Video signal?
Old 01-25-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you clarify what you mean by "home theater system"?

Do you mean "receiver," or the entire system? Because, taken as a whole, the only video output on my signal comes out of my tv as waves of light.
Old 01-25-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Stupid Question #1: Video input to Home Theater?

Originally posted by theedge
Why does a home theater system have Video In and Out? This is kind of useless if I am using component video.
Guess you don't watch much VHS, S-VHS, Playstation, Laserdisc, C-Band Satellite, DSS or anything else that uses a non-component output, eh?
Old 01-25-02, 11:41 PM

Yes, the Home Theater Receiver. It has inputs for video, and outputs as well. It also has the input for audio, which makes sense of course. I was just wondering why you would pass video through this unit.
Old 01-26-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The video inputs/outputs are there on the receiver if you have a TV with limited inputs(or in some cases only 1) This allows you to hook a VCR, TIVO, Satellite, Cable Box, DVD, LD, etc...to the receiver and only need one video out from the receiver to the TV. When you switch to the different sources on the receiver, the video changes with it.
Old 01-26-02, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by theedge
It has inputs for video, and outputs as well...I was just wondering why you would pass video through this unit.
You can use your receiver as a "hub" of sorts. If you have several components that you would like to connect to your TV, but the TV only has one input, you can connect all the different components to the receiver, and then connect the receiver to the TV's one input.

Also, if you use several components (VCR, DVD, TV, receiver, etc.) all made by the same manufacturer, some receivers will give you "extra" options when you connect everything together. Like on-screen displays for components that normally wouldn't have those on-screen displays. Or switching the entire system (all the different components) to standby more by the press of a single button. Sometimes called "Cinema Link" (or similar) its main purpose is really integration and ease of use.

It's really not that big of a deal, but there are several advantages to having everything running through the receiver (in certain situations I guess).

Good luck.
Old 01-26-02, 12:20 AM

Damn, palebluedot beat me to it!

Old 01-26-02, 08:42 AM

Okay, that makes sense. Didn't even think of that! Every TV I have had (recently) has a ton of inputs. I thought 5.1 or DTS needed the video signal or something for it to work correctly... silly me! Thanks.