DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Power line conditioners?

Old 01-25-02, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

Power line conditioners?

I have a 32" Sony Wega TV and a Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS home theater system. Everything is plugged into a rather inexpensive surge protector. I have seen various surge protectors - line conditioners ranging from $100 and up. As an example, Monster Cable has quite a few different models. In their literature they claim it will improve the sound and picture of your system. I know the importance of a surge protector. But, do I really need a line conditioner? Do line conditioners really work. Will it make a real difference in the sound and video? If they really do make a difference, which one should I buy?
Old 01-26-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$200 binoculars are cool

This may be anecdotal because I came upon it quite some time ago, but the feeling I have is that those consumer line conditioners don't really condition or protect. I use several strips, some claim a bit of protection, one strip has an extra toggle and a bypass, which is handy if you own a JVC dvd player, but most are just beige strips.

The only thing I have ever lost happened during a lightning strike (that turned the gas pipes in the basement blue, according to a tenant) and that was a disposable modem.

It is like the quality of microscopes vs that of telescopes. You can get a nice student microscope for $100-$200, but a $200 telescope is a waste of money.
Old 01-26-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me add this: As with most things HT, it depends on your budget. If you have a $200 television and a $99 DVD player, a $100 S-Video cable might be a tad...unnecessary. The same can be said for line conditioners. I'd shop around in direct comparison to your equipment budget. Personally, I have 2 (Monster HTS2500) PLCs and love them. I also live in Florida (better known as the lightning capital of the world) and know better then to plug anything into the wall unprotected.
As I said it depends on your budget and how much you want to spend. I felt a tad sheepish about plugging $10,000+ of electronics into a couple of plastic strips, but that's just me.
As for improvement in A/V quality, I did tend to notice a better picture on my RPTV then better audio, but then again I bought the units I have for surge protection first and foremeost and any improvements otherwise were a bonus to me.

Last edited by DVD_O_Rama; 01-26-02 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-27-02, 03:47 AM
0ne

read these peoples reviews on line conditioners the general consensus is that they will improve your video/audio performance as well as protect your from power surge and save you a couple of cents of your monthly power bill

http://audioreview.com/reviews/Other/product_5524.shtml

http://audioreview.com/reviews/Other/product_5522.shtml

http://audioreview.com/reviews/Other...ct_24613.shtml
Old 01-28-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a UPS/power conditioner on my setup. The purpose being protection, rather than improved A/V quality. I do sleep better at night knowing that everything is protected against power disturbances, because I simply could not afford to replace my setup.
Old 01-28-02, 03:25 PM

$200 Binoculars - Example

Why not use a Panamax? They will provide very good surge protection, without the cost of a conditioner.