DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer Question

Old 01-25-02, 08:51 AM
LDC

Subwoofer Question

Has anyone installed spikes on their subwoofer feet and how did it affect the sound? I have also seen a comment about placing a subwoofer on a piece of granite-any comments?
Old 01-25-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you have carpeted floors, spikes are not going to make any difference. On wood floors it does make somewhat of a difference because it detaches the sub from the floor. Less vibration makes for cleaner more detailed bass.
Old 01-25-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Subwoofer Question

Originally posted by LDC
Has anyone installed spikes on their subwoofer feet and how did it affect the sound? I have also seen a comment about placing a subwoofer on a piece of granite-any comments?
My two ARS500s came with spikes on them (which is kind of dangerous, seeing as how at 75+ pounds each they tend to cause alot of pain when placed on your foot. Yes, I'm clumsy) so I can't comment on a difference bewteen spiked or not, but I will say (IMHO) you should stay away from putting a slab of anything under yours sub(s) to 'tighten' up the bass, and worry more about placement and calibration.