Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer Receiver and Speakers for limited budget

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am a broke college student trying to get a home theater system in his apartment. So needless to say, trying to get the best deal is the #1 priority. However, I dont want junk. Best Buy has this Pioneer receiver on sale this week for $199.99. But is it any good? I cant tell from reading the specs. Here is the link though: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4

Now for speakers, Im not sure. I would LOVE to get a 6-piece satellite/subwoofer combo for $200 or less. There is a Yamaha set on their site for $189.92, but it looks like all the satellites are the same size, and that doesnt look good. Is KLH a decent brand?

I also have two kinda old 3-way speakers, could I possible use these two and get a 3 speaker set and then a subwoofer, or should I scrap these 2 completely? Please share your info! Thanks!!
Old 01-25-02, 01:51 AM
0ne

I would go with either this

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?&b...=1552&scat=242

or this

http://circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/frame...ductsearch.jsp

I have the yamaha in my room, but auditioned that kenwood for my parents living room. If you are on a budget, the second system is better but a bit more expensive and does Dobly pro logic II.

SHop online at pricewatch.com pricescan.com or crazy eddies and you can sometimes save a few hundred.
Old 01-25-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in a similar position (unfortunately the broke college student part) and I just bought an open box H/K receiver from Circuit City for a really good price - I didn't know you could haggle for a better price at CC. It had been returned because there were scratches on the display, but they disappeared when I took off the protective plastic cover I've been thinking about eventually picking up these speakers:
http://store.yahoo.com/htd/levelone51set.html they're only $149 plus shipping. The only problem is that I've seen good reviews for the higher level sets but none for these.
Old 01-25-02, 09:22 AM
Banned

On your budget just look for a Home Theater in a Box sets that Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, and Panasonic are selling today. You'll have no problem finding a decent one for under $400 - for $399 I got my father a panasonic model that has a 5 dvd changer (not DTS though)
Old 01-25-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DaveRules
On your budget just look for a Home Theater in a Box sets that Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, and Panasonic are selling today. You'll have no problem finding a decent one for under $400 - for $399 I got my father a panasonic model that has a 5 dvd changer (not DTS though)
Most of the ones Ive seen like this contain a sub and 5 satellites. The 5 satellites are ALL the same, even the "center-channel" speaker. This is why I have been avoiding these. The only one I saw that contained a "proper" set of speakers was a Pioneer receiver, but it was built into a 5-disc DVD changer for $499.
One of my friends said KLH were good speakers, and he usually knows what hes talking about. My roomie has 2 KLHs he isnt even using, so I might just get a 3-piece set (2 rears and a center channel) and then get a sub later. Im guessing KLH is ok then, yes?
Old 01-25-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ENDContra

Im guessing KLH is ok then, yes?
I wouldn't put KLH and OK in the same sentence. Or paragraph. Etc. At least their recent speakers. (They used to be an OK brand, but that was a while ago).