DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Putting together a new system

Old 01-24-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Putting together a new system

Well I had my old system stolen from my dorm room over Christmas break, and I should be getting my check form the insurance company within a few days. Here's what I'm looking at
TV-I already purchased a Sony 27" Trinitron to replace the stolen 20" Wega
Reciever-Onkyo TXDS-494(to replace my stolen 484)
Main Speakers-I'm thinking about the Sony SSM-F400H floorstanding speakers. My friend has some similiar ones and they sound nice to me. I plan on auditioning them first though.
Sub-Not too sure but I'm thinking about the Yamaha YST-SW105 to replace my stolen 8" woofer. I was contemplating the Sony 12" but in the end I think it's just too large for my room(about 220 sq feet) and since it is a dorm room it may perhaps be too loud. I would think about a 10" though.
Center-Sony 2 Way center CN495H(assuming I get the sony mains I'd want a well matched center)
Surrounds-I still have my two surrounds at home(we had been using my roommates surrounds so mine were not in the room and thus were not stolen).
Any comments? I'm on a tight budget but I think this will do nicely. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-25-02, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Onkyo receiver is an excellent choice.

I would recommend avoiding Sony speakers if at all possible. What is your budget for speakers? I recommend bookshelf speakers unless you can afford $400+ a pair for a nice sets of floorstanders. It sounds like you only need two mains, a center and a sub.
Old 01-25-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Skar,
My budget is tight. I've got $1537 from the insurance company to replace alot of stuff(TV, computer monitor, center speaker, front speakers, cd player, reciever and computer monitor). If I see something today at Tweeter, Circuit City of Best Buy that is a bit out of my price range but sounds good I'll just pay for the difference out of pocket. I do want to audition the Sony speakers though as they may be ok for my needs. Over the summer I was using 5 small two way speakers that came in my Onkyo Home Theater in a Box package. They lacked a bit of treble but mated with the Onkyo 484 they sounded good. This semester we had been using my roommate's JBL floorstanding speakers but those got stolen. I figure I'll bring up my two speakers that were at home and use those are surrounds and just get new mains. Hopefully I'll find something that my ear likes.
Old 01-25-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok so I went out and bought some stuff
Onkyo TXDS-494
Sony CD Player with optical out
Yamaha YST-SW105 sub
Polk Audio RT35i bookshelf speakers
I still need to get some speaker stands(the idiot sales guy sold me ones that were made for tiny surround speakers not large bookshelf speakers) as well as a center. I noticed the only Polk center was ~200 which is a bit steep. Can someone reccomend a center channel speaker that will blend well with the Polk speakers I bought(perhaps made by a different manufacturer?). I'm gonna stop by home tomorrow and pick up my surround speakers and my roommate is brining up his center so we'll be set for a while until I can find an adequate center. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 01-25-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you can, you should check out the PSB Alpha Center...I have it and love it. I think it might go well with your Polks...if it's possible, visit a local Best Buy or Good Guys or Circuit City to see.

This online store has a sale on them, $129 (this is where I bought it from)...

http://www.soundcity.com/bin/product.php?product_id=418