DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Which speakers should I get? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/177196-speakers-should-i-get.html)

ghn01 01-23-02 08:31 PM

Which speakers should I get?

I am considering buying a Kenwood KRF-V9050D reciever. It has

Dolby Digital/DTS AV Receiver
5 x 110W power output,
THX Select Power Amplifier Circuitry,
5 DSP Modes
FM/AM tuner with RDS,
6-ch input for DVD-Audio,
Peak Bass Management System
Speaker A/B,
Jog Dials,
S-VHS in/out

and I am looking for a set of speakers to hook them up to. I only want to spend $400/£300 on the speakers and invisage upgrading them in the next year.
So which speakers should I get? -confused-

gotwavego 01-23-02 08:40 PM

If you can find the Gallo Nucleus speakers in your area (www.roundsound.com) they are pretty decent and should be around the price range you listed.

-g

ghn01 01-23-02 09:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I can't get that brand in the UK, any other suggestions?

criptik28 01-23-02 09:24 PM

Can you buy PSB Alphas in the UK?

Master J 01-23-02 11:05 PM

The best you are going to do on 400 bucks is the JBL northridge NSP1 five speaker set coupled with a Sony WM-40 sub or another affordable sub (of course you could just bypass the sub for now, but you will be mssing out on alot).

Another option is buy just your front two speakers (and maybe a center). When you save up more either move them to the rears for surrounds or keep them upfront and add surrounds and maybe a center.

J

nekobus 01-24-02 02:08 AM

I would second the PSB suggestion. Best bang for the buck around. According to their website, they sell in the UK:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/r/RestOfTheWorld.html

RickT 01-24-02 08:54 AM

PSB Intro Series

I was faced with a similar problem and bought a pair of PSB Intro LR's and a PSB CLR (centre speaker). The lot cost less than £300 and I spent a lot of time listening to many speakers - some much more expensive - and the PSB's are magnificent as well as small. You are going to need decent stands and your next buy should ber a subwoofer (listen to the PSB Subsonic 5) but with that system not only are films great but just listening to music is equally good. Eventually ass another pair of Intro LR's as rear speakers and you are in seventh heaven!

DVD.guy 01-25-02 11:49 AM

I too am looking for a speaker set.

Which of the PSB do you recommend for all channels?

jumbojp 01-25-02 12:19 PM

Paradigm Atoms:)

www.paradigm.ca

Reviews:
www.audioreview.com

RickT 01-25-02 02:25 PM

PSB Speakers

I have the Intro LR speakers together with the Intro CLR center and the Subsonic 5. However, you could do without the Center speaker and just go with a pair of Intro LR's and the Subwoofer. The Intro LR's are wonderful little speakers but need the subwoofer for bass, I use them for playing music as well and cannot fault them. The Alpha A/V's are excellent as well, a bit bigger, but frankly with the Subsonic 5 I did not find a noticeable difference in a blind listening test. I also wanted a small speaker to fit the decor of the room.
For rears just use another pair of Intro LR's. Incidentally I chose the Subsonic 5 over the Subsonic Zero because it is much better controlled and more musical - necessary for music but if its just for Home Theater then the cheaper Zero will be fine.

Viper99 01-25-02 10:07 PM

spend the majority of your cash on the front speakers and a sub. i feel that these need to be the best thing in your system. you can probably find a cheap center/surround speakers to complete the package, later if it comes to that.

criptik28 01-25-02 10:14 PM

Originally posted by DVD.guy
I too am looking for a speaker set.

Which of the PSB do you recommend for all channels?

Alpha A/Vs for fronts and rears, Alpha Center for the center channel.

mariner 01-26-02 02:21 PM

which speakers?

try richer sounds in u.k. Mission cinema 7 pack is a quality bargain, you wont need to upgrade in a year. for nearest branch get what hi-fi mag. or look at richers web site, branches all over u.k.