DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Digital Cable? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/176588-digital-cable.html)

medic 01-21-02 10:27 PM

Digital Cable?

Got the feeling that I know the answer to this already, but....

Is there any use for digital cable if you don't have a digital tv?

palebluedot 01-21-02 11:03 PM

Digital cable still gets converted to analog before going to your TV. In fact everything gets converted to analog, DVD, satellite, etc... You would need a fire-wire connection and a true digital source for an all digital setup.

Stangman68 01-22-02 03:53 AM

I've noticed some improvement in picture quality since going digital, but some channels still look like crap. Save the extra cash to put toward a better TV...

edclem 01-22-02 11:57 AM

most of the channels on digital cable are actually analog. You don't need a digital TV to appreciate it. If anything, with a digital screen, you'd recognize the shortcomings of digital cable more than ever.

The only reason I keep it is that it is $6 more per month than standard cable and my apartment complex doesn't allow satellite.

Wyatt 01-22-02 08:43 PM

Originally posted by edclem
most of the channels on digital cable are actually analog. You don't need a digital TV to appreciate it. If anything, with a digital screen, you'd recognize the shortcomings of digital cable more than ever.

The only reason I keep it is that it is $6 more per month than standard cable and my apartment complex doesn't allow satellite.

my recommendation, is not to get a digital tv if you're primary viewing is cable(digital or analog) edclem is right in his statements
above. I traded in my sony xbr450 exactly for this reason. digital cable reception is nasty on a digital tv. you will not be happy. the digital TVs such as the sony xbr series pick up every little artifact. if the signal sucks, it'll look worse on a digital hd ready tv. I ended up with sony's best analog wega set(KV36FV27) and i'm thrilled with it. most of the same features as the xbr, for about $1000 less. I also learned a couple of neat tricks, to make the digital cable reception even better.

Instead of running the coax cable wire from the converter into the tv, run a good composite(RCA) cable from the composite video outputs on the digital converter to the composite video inputs on the tv. This runs a cleaner signal to the set, and eliminates some coax cable noise. The only coax should be coming from your wall to the converter. I use monster cables on all my sets(i know many don't think there worth it, but I do). If you have a s-video connecter on the back of your digital box, then obviously you'd want to utilize that instead of composites. I just ordered a rca to s-video adapter(monster as well) this is supposed to be a much improved signal as well. i'll post and let you know.

Bottom line is that digital cable takes a bit of getting used to. In general the reception is softer and more pixilated. They just degrade the signal by cramming more channels into the same bandwidth. with a few tweaks here and there, you'll be happy with an analog set and digital cable. i also recommend buying one of those home theater setup dvds, such as Avia or Essential. sorry to be so long winded, but i've been through this crap already. The cable comps. suck because most won't issue the s-video converter boxes because they are more expensive for them to buy. it's too bad, because the consumer suffers. Take care and good luck.

medic 01-22-02 08:50 PM

A crisp clear picture even though it is analog would be fine with me. As far as the digital goes. I think there would be a bigger difference in sound as opposed to the picture anyway. That is where I would invest in a decent home theatre receiver.

edclem 01-22-02 09:32 PM

Originally posted by medic
A crisp clear picture even though it is analog would be fine with me. As far as the digital goes. I think there would be a bigger difference in sound as opposed to the picture anyway. That is where I would invest in a decent home theatre receiver.
your results may be different, but in Minneapolis, even the audio (for all of the standard cable stations i.e. under channel 110) is analog. Only premium channels (HBO/Skinemax/etc) in the digital tier are broadcast in anything higher than DPL.

The DMX stations are good, as long as you listen to them through a receiver with a digital connection.

in summary: is it as good as DVD? Not even close.
Is it better than VHS? Sometimes.
Is it worth it? Depends on the price premium in your area. As I said above, the only reason I keep it is that the price differential over standard cable is negligible, and I do get an additional 40 channels or so.

Wyatt 01-23-02 09:24 AM

Originally posted by medic
just remember, whenever you look at TVs set up in a store such as Circuit City, or Tweeter, Best Buy, etc... they all have all of their sets hooked into a DVD loop, so they show a perfect image. their worse TV will have a great pic with DVD. If you're buying a new set, ask them to remove the set from their DVD and run straight cable to it if they can, then you'll see the real deal. I love digital cable. It beats going out and having to spend more money on additional equipment such as a satellite dish and receiver, or an HDTV receiver. If you've got that kind of money to spend then it certainly might be to your advantage to go that route.

My primary viewing is cable. Many people have told me to keep my Sony XBR to watch DVD on. I'll give them the fact that DVD is gorgeous on the XBR, but DVD is great on most sets. IMHO, I personally couldn't see spending $2500 on a set just to watch movies on. With the money you can save on a good analog set, you can buy a good dvd player and other toys as well. it comes down to personal taste and "pocketbook" If you can afford to spend on a high end system with all the bells and whistles, go for it. To quote a Dirty Harry movie," A man's got to know his limitations".

JBabbitt 01-23-02 12:04 PM

What most people need to know, is that the reason that most cable companies switched to "digital cable", is because theft was too easy on analog. Analog boxes were too easy to descramble, so the Time Warners of the world made it harder. If you read most digital cable info, it says that 99% of all signal coming out of the box is analog. You will get some digital sound, but most of that is 2 channel digital sound. Go with a satelite.

cdrakejr 01-23-02 02:06 PM

Satellite Consumer Bill of Rights

edclem:

While you may not want the hassle, the FCC several years ago issued the subject bill of rights which preempts local zoning and HOA rules regarding DBS dishes.

You can check the FAQ at DishNetwork site:

http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions...xtSearch=&pg=1

Icculus 01-23-02 03:04 PM

Re: Satellite Consumer Bill of Rights

Originally posted by cdrakejr
edclem:

While you may not want the hassle, the FCC several years ago issued the subject bill of rights which preempts local zoning and HOA rules regarding DBS dishes.

You can check the FAQ at DishNetwork site:

http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions...xtSearch=&pg=1

I was looking into this just this week and, as far as I can tell, doesn't really cover everyone who lives in an apartment building. I think you have to have an outside area that is part of what you are renting (like a balcony) in order to be covered. I know I read somewhere that you can't put up a dish if holes have to be drilled into the exterior of the building. If I've read this wrong let me know, I hate AT&T and would much rather have better audio and picture quality for a lower price.

Gomez 01-23-02 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Satellite Consumer Bill of Rights

Originally posted by e_hartnett

I was looking into this just this week and, as far as I can tell, doesn't really cover everyone who lives in an apartment building. I think you have to have an outside area that is part of what you are renting (like a balcony) in order to be covered. I know I read somewhere that you can't put up a dish if holes have to be drilled into the exterior of the building. If I've read this wrong let me know, I hate AT&T and would much rather have better audio and picture quality for a lower price.

Ah, a soapbox issue of mine! Have a look at Uncle Sam's site here http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html which is the law of the land.

About 1/3 of the way down in that article is where you find the exclusive use and drilling clauses. Basically, you're gonna have to put it on a balcony or inside a window - somewhere that the general public does not have access. If your landlord will not allow you to drill you may have to get special mounting hardware. You may also have to paint it to match the decor.

If your balcony does not face the correct direction you're hosed, same for people with no exclusive use areas that face outside at all. Where do you propose to mount this thing?

Worth a shot, though!

Icculus 01-23-02 04:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Satellite Consumer Bill of Rights

Originally posted by Gomez

Ah, a soapbox issue of mine! Have a look at Uncle Sam's site here http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html which is the law of the land.

About 1/3 of the way down in that article is where you find the exclusive use and drilling clauses. Basically, you're gonna have to put it on a balcony or inside a window - somewhere that the general public does not have access. If your landlord will not allow you to drill you may have to get special mounting hardware. You may also have to paint it to match the decor.

If your balcony does not face the correct direction you're hosed, same for people with no exclusive use areas that face outside at all. Where do you propose to mount this thing?

Worth a shot, though!

My problem is that I don't have a balcony to mount it on, I was hoping to set it up outside the window or on the roof but I don't think it's possible without the consent of the owner. It sucks that I'm stuck with digital cable right now but it's just another aggravation added to the list that I'll be checking when my lease is up :)

edclem 01-23-02 07:15 PM

their way of circumventing the nasty little details (at least at my complex) is to add a clause to the lease that we can install a dish....if we leave it there when we go.
Yeah, that's gonna happen ;)

Wyatt 01-24-02 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Wyatt

I just ordered a rca to s-video adapter(monster as well) this is supposed to be a much improved signal as well. i'll post and let you know.

i just installed this apapter, and the picture is substantially better. seeing how my cable comp.(AT&T) won't go for the s-video converter boxes, this is the best i can hope for. this little adapter is a little pricey(99.00 msrp) but it got the job done at a far less price then going for major equipment. take care.

http://products.monstercable.com/por...d=33058&-find=