DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS2 and 5.1 DVD question.

Old 01-20-02, 01:04 PM

PS2 and 5.1 DVD question.

Here's the situation. When playing 5.1 DVDs via my PS2(conneced by an optical cable) my receiver won't recognize the Dolby Digital signal, it instead outputs it as Pro Logic. Now, i have a satellite receiver also running directly to the receiver with an optical cable and the receiver recognizes whenever i switch to a "DD" encoded program. Has anyone ever experienced any of these issues with DD 5.1 output on their PS2?
Thanks!

PS, i also have a stand alone player but it's in another room and i wanted to consult others before i try connecting it to the receiver.
Old 01-20-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the only audio connection between your PS2 and your receiver is the optical connection, your PS2 seems to be set up correctly and there are 2 things to check:

1) Your receiver (and you should probably mention the brand and model so others can give you more specific info) should be set to "Auto" decode or "DD" or "DTS." You might have to change this setting for each input, but then I'm assuming that you're using a different optical input for your satellite and PS2, which might not be true.

2) You need to make sure that you're selecting and playing the DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 track on each dvd -- this is generally done through the specific dvd's audio menu.

If you have both an analog (L&R audio cables) and digital (optical) audio connection between your PS2 and your receiver, I'd recommend disconnecting the analog connection and seeing if you still get a signal. If not, you need to go to the Audio Setup menu of the PS2 and enable the bitstream output.

I'm sure there are a few other things to check, but the above steps are a good place to start unless you're already at that point.
Old 01-20-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a thread I dug up that might have some useful info.
Old 01-20-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure you turn on the DD, DTS, options on the dvd menu on the PS2, and not just on the main PS2 menu. Play a dvd & stop/pause it & bring up the actual dvd player menu. Make sure it's turned on there.
Old 01-20-02, 04:27 PM

Wow, you guys are the coolest! I wont into the "Set up" menu on my PS2 and voila', i'm in business.
Thanks!