DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cordless Headphones

Old 01-20-02, 01:01 AM

Cordless Headphones

I need your advice on which cordless headphones you
suggest i buy.I live in a apt. building and after 11:00pm
i can not play dvds.I live on the fifth floor.Some time
there are night i can not sleep.Hope some of yous can
give me some good advice and a good set.

Thanks for your help
Bobc80

Also if you can help me with the brand and model number.
Thanks agian
Old 01-20-02, 03:58 AM

First of all, do you want to go 900MHz or infrared? I've owned both:

900MHz:
-Nice because you can wander around the apartment without losing the signal (same range as 900MHz cordless phones).
-Tend to eat batteries at an extremely rapid rate (opt for a setup that includes rechargeable batteries and a charger).

The Jensen 900MHz set I owned was kind of a pain because as the batteries got weaker I had to constantly tweak the settings to get a good signal.

IR:
-Much more limiting in that you basically have to sit in front of the transmitter to hear anything. There is some freedom of movement, but not much.
-Batteries last much, much longer.
-No settings to tweak--they will play until the battery is almost completely dead.

I am currently using the Sony MDR-IF120 (which I believe is obsolete now) and they do the job they were intended for; I can watch movies late at night without disturbing the rest of the family.

Sound quality: a little better with the 900MHz, but not very good with either.

Secondly, how much are you willing to spend? Keep in mind that both of my setups were relatively inexpensive--around $70 each. If you want to go higher end, you might want to check out the Sennheiser RS 65 ($152.94 shipped at etronics.com) or the Sony MDR-DS5100 ($324.00 at etronics.com). Both of these sets use surround sound technology, although the Sony seems to be more advanced as it supposedly uses actual Dolby Digital and DTS technology. An excellent site for checking specifications is www.crutchfield.com , although their prices can be a little steep.
If you want to go cheap, I've seen IR sets at local B&Ms for as low as $19.95...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Stangman68; 01-20-02 at 04:02 AM.