DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Region free player help...please

Old 01-17-02, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Region free player help...please

I've read some of the other threads and I have a headache. Does anyone make a region-free player that is simple and DOES everything my US made Sony s360 does?

I would love to get one but I don't want to do any hacking or upgrading and worrying about anamorphic transfers or anything else. I just want to buy something that I can take out of the box and hook up and have it play any region dvd, just as it would if I was watching it where it was meant to be played. And just as good, clear, and sounding just as great.

I don't want to worry about conversion or any of that. I don't copy dvds, I don't care about karaoke, I won't be using it for playing cds, I just want it for playing all the great dvds that seemd to exist elsewhere while I'm sitting here fuming about why we have hollywood and they have more dvds.

Is there a player that can do this?

Please let me know.

And thanks!

Last edited by dolphinboy; 01-17-02 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-17-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1320699804

Try this. It looks simple enough
Old 01-17-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i would also reccommend the malata n996. there have been countless threads about that player lately. from what i have read, it seems to be a great player. so much so that i am almost to the point of getting one, hopefully this weekend. do a search for 'malata' and you should definately find something.
Old 01-17-02, 09:16 AM
Gomez

The Malata is cool but I think there may be a firmware upgrade needed.

Old 01-17-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How does the Sampo DVE-611 compare with the Malata? Gomez is right, you need some kind of upgrade with the Malata and I'd like to avoid that.

The Sampo unit that Kevin75 posted is already sold. Anyone think that might be the one to get to meet all my needs and not require me to hack or worry about anything? Does either of these have nice transfers of anamorohic films?

Thanks everyone. I would want to make this my primary player, so I want it to be good and simple.
Old 01-17-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The current Malta model doesn't need an upgrade and is a better quality player than the Sampo. The Sampo 611 has had the firmware changed which voids the warranty. You could buy one for $109 and change the firmware yourself by burning a CD. Buying one from ebay is not the way to go.

It's a question of you get what you pay for. I had a Sampo and the picture/build quality isn't that great--the Malta is much better.
Old 01-17-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nekobus
The current Malta model doesn't need an upgrade and is a better quality player than the Sampo. The Sampo 611 has had the firmware changed which voids the warranty. You could buy one for $109 and change the firmware yourself by burning a CD. Buying one from ebay is not the way to go.

It's a question of you get what you pay for. I had a Sampo and the picture/build quality isn't that great--the Malta is much better.
Where can I find the Malata model that doesn't require an upgrade? The model number seems the same for the one that I saw and the one that needed an upgrade. Do you really think this model would be a very good #1 DVD player? I've heard something about problems with anamorphic titles and region free players, would I have this problem with this model? Is this something that you own?

Thanks again.
Old 01-18-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy

Where can I find the Malata model that doesn't require an upgrade? The model number seems the same for the one that I saw and the one that needed an upgrade.
The model number is the same, but the newer ones from avdeals.com have the upgrade. I have used the Malata and it's a nice player if you need one that does PAL->NTSC conversion.

You might want to read the malata thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=145074

It contains tons of good info.