DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best DVD to tune system with?

Old 01-16-02, 11:12 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bellevue,WA,USA
Posts: 203
Best DVD to tune system with?

I think a few new DVDs have come out that help you fine tune your speakers' balance, TV color, etc.

Is there one that is defintely the best?

Thanks.
D
DodiN is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 12:08 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,422
I prefer Avia for video calibration, and Video Essentials for audio calibration.

Or is it the other way around
Sockmonkey is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 01:06 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,209
I have only used Video Essentials. It does a good job but the disc is a little difficult to navigate.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 01:09 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bellevue,WA,USA
Posts: 203
Isn't there a new Video Essentials out that is suppossed to be much easier?
DodiN is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 01:10 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,209
Originally posted by DodiN
Isn't there a new Video Essentials out that is suppossed to be much easier?
I am only aware of the one. Since I purchased it I don't think I will bother with another one unless I ever have the need for 6.1
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 02:09 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 255
How do these stand alone DVDs compare to the THX calibrations that are found on some DVDs? Is there much on these that is not included in the THX, or is the THX pretty good?
Beaver is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 02:22 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,209
Originally posted by Beaver
How do these stand alone DVDs compare to the THX calibrations that are found on some DVDs? Is there much on these that is not included in the THX, or is the THX pretty good?
I am aware that they exist but since I have my system calibrated I have not even looked to see what they have. I imagine that they would be better than nothing but I have not compared.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 03:28 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bellevue,WA,USA
Posts: 203
I'm also interested in tuning the color, etc on my TV (wide screen HDTV-Mits) with out paying $400 for some guy to come out and it for me with specialized equipment.
DodiN is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 04:31 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,982
Avia Guide to Home Theater is indeed easier to navigate and is more 'user friendly' IMO, but is also more of a pain to calibrate LFE then Video Essentials. Digital Video Essentials is the 'new and improved' (like Tide) version of VE, which is coming out soon.
DVD_O_Rama is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 04:35 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,982
Originally posted by Beaver
How do these stand alone DVDs compare to the THX calibrations that are found on some DVDs?
The THX Optimode that is available on newer THX-approved discs is kind of a poor man's Avia or VE. At least 2 or 3 discs that I know of have incorrect levels, and your settings would be off if calibrated to those discs.
DVD_O_Rama is offline  
Old 01-16-02, 11:49 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Visalia, Ca., USA
Posts: 3,722
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama


The THX Optimode that is available on newer THX-approved discs is kind of a poor man's Avia or VE. At least 2 or 3 discs that I know of have incorrect levels, and your settings would be off if calibrated to those discs.
I have Avia and on my Sony XBR the THX Optimode calibration looks so much better for video. Personally I wish I never bought the Avia DVD. Planet of the Apes has a more refined calabration than on some of the older THX DVD's.
GMLSKIS is offline  
Old 01-17-02, 12:52 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,865
Avia for both audio and video.However, you really need a SPL meter to make the proper calibrations for sound. Anyhow if anyone needs a copy, I got mine on Half.com brand new for 20 bucks. There company that makes it often sells them on there.
Cardiff Giant11 is offline  
Old 01-17-02, 02:15 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,982
Originally posted by GMLSKIS


I have Avia and on my Sony XBR the THX Optimode calibration looks so much better for video. Personally I wish I never bought the Avia DVD. Planet of the Apes has a more refined calabration than on some of the older THX DVD's.
To each his own. Just because Avia is the 'correct' calibration, if you don't like it, then it's not worth the money.
As far as POTA having a better Optimode then older THX discs...I think that speaks volumes on the reliablility of their settings if they actually vary from disc to disc (which they do).
DVD_O_Rama is offline  
Old 01-17-02, 09:30 PM
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 319
I have the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up which is geared toward novice to intermediate HT owners. I found the tweaks useful, and would recommend it to others of like experience.
Trekaholic is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 03:10 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Visalia, Ca., USA
Posts: 3,722
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama


To each his own. Just because Avia is the 'correct' calibration, if you don't like it, then it's not worth the money.
As far as POTA having a better Optimode then older THX discs...I think that speaks volumes on the reliablility of their settings if they actually vary from disc to disc (which they do).
You misunderstood me in leading to your false conclusion about the varying of discs. Avia could vary too in your sumation. Planet of the Apes THX is a little more complex in detail that makes it easier to calibrate but not better than say Cast Away or T2 U.E. per say.
GMLSKIS is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 07:54 AM
  #16  
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,584
Originally posted by Trekaholic
I have the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up which is geared toward novice to intermediate HT owners. I found the tweaks useful, and would recommend it to others of like experience.
Has anyone else used the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up? It's half the price of Avia and I'm wondering how it compares with respect to the calibration tools.
dgc is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 08:09 AM
  #17  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: south carolina
Posts: 29
I would say to just get some type of calibration,no matter what it is, because anything is better than the factory presets or "eyeballing" it.
yippyKiyA is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 09:22 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,422
Originally posted by DodiN
I'm also interested in tuning the color, etc on my TV (wide screen HDTV-Mits) with out paying $400 for some guy to come out and it for me with specialized equipment.
Although it certainly is recommended to do the AVIA / VE calibrations yourself (color / brightness / contrast / sharp), the comparison to paying someone $400 (an ISF technician) to calibrate the set is apples to oranges.

The ISF techs handle much more difficult (and noticeable) adjustments like mechanical focus, grayscale, lens striping, etc, etc.

If you ask anyone who has had an ISF calibration, they will certainly tell you that it is worth the $, and provides results (as expected) over and above the standard AVIA / VE calibrations that you can do yourself.
Sockmonkey is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 11:42 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: ...Madison
Posts: 290
I rented Video Essentials from Netflix, and I found the menu stucture to be terrible. I then bought Avia, which works fine for me.

I wonder about DVD_O_Rama's comment that *The THX Optimode that is available on newer THX-approved discs is kind of a poor man's Avia or VE.* How much can the Optimode be? I paid less than $20 for Avia, and it was a new (not used).
Scott is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 01:14 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,982
Originally posted by GMLSKIS


You misunderstood me in leading to your false conclusion about the varying of discs.
My false conclusion?? I made no 'conclusions' about anything, it's a documented fact that the THX Optimode settings are incorrect on some discs. I wish I had time to post some links right now, but I will do so later.


Avia could vary too in your sumation.
I wish I had a comment for this, but seeing as how there is only one Avia disc...there isn't anything to vary between, so I'm not really sure what your talking about.


Planet of the Apes THX is a little more complex in detail that makes it easier to calibrate but not better than say Cast Away or T2 U.E. per say.
DVD_O_Rama is offline  
Old 01-18-02, 10:59 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Visalia, Ca., USA
Posts: 3,722
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama


If you are so in love with the Avia disc you can buy my copy. For my Sony XBR it doesn't calabrate my television as good as any of the THX Optimode enhanced DVD's I have to choose from. I could show you the difference and you would be amazed. To each their own.
GMLSKIS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.