DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Best DVD to tune system with? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/174926-best-dvd-tune-system.html)

DodiN 01-16-02 11:12 AM

Best DVD to tune system with?

I think a few new DVDs have come out that help you fine tune your speakers' balance, TV color, etc.

Is there one that is defintely the best?

Thanks.
D

Sockmonkey 01-16-02 12:08 PM

I prefer Avia for video calibration, and Video Essentials for audio calibration.

Or is it the other way around :confused:

Brian Shannon 01-16-02 01:06 PM

I have only used Video Essentials. It does a good job but the disc is a little difficult to navigate.

DodiN 01-16-02 01:09 PM

Isn't there a new Video Essentials out that is suppossed to be much easier?

Brian Shannon 01-16-02 01:10 PM

Originally posted by DodiN
Isn't there a new Video Essentials out that is suppossed to be much easier?
I am only aware of the one. Since I purchased it I don't think I will bother with another one unless I ever have the need for 6.1

Beaver 01-16-02 02:09 PM

How do these stand alone DVDs compare to the THX calibrations that are found on some DVDs? Is there much on these that is not included in the THX, or is the THX pretty good?

Brian Shannon 01-16-02 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Beaver
How do these stand alone DVDs compare to the THX calibrations that are found on some DVDs? Is there much on these that is not included in the THX, or is the THX pretty good?
I am aware that they exist but since I have my system calibrated I have not even looked to see what they have. I imagine that they would be better than nothing but I have not compared.

DodiN 01-16-02 03:28 PM

I'm also interested in tuning the color, etc on my TV (wide screen HDTV-Mits) with out paying $400 for some guy to come out and it for me with specialized equipment.

DVD_O_Rama 01-16-02 04:31 PM

<b>Avia Guide to Home Theater</b> is indeed easier to navigate and is more 'user friendly' IMO, but is also more of a pain to calibrate LFE then Video Essentials. <b>Digital Video Essentials</b> is the 'new and improved' (like Tide) version of VE, which is coming out soon.

DVD_O_Rama 01-16-02 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Beaver
How do these stand alone DVDs compare to the THX calibrations that are found on some DVDs?
The THX Optimode that is available on newer THX-approved discs is kind of a poor man's Avia or VE. At least 2 or 3 discs that I know of have incorrect levels, and your settings would be off if calibrated to those discs.

GMLSKIS 01-16-02 11:49 PM

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama

The THX Optimode that is available on newer THX-approved discs is kind of a poor man's Avia or VE. At least 2 or 3 discs that I know of have incorrect levels, and your settings would be off if calibrated to those discs.

I have Avia and on my Sony XBR the THX Optimode calibration looks so much better for video. Personally I wish I never bought the Avia DVD. Planet of the Apes has a more refined calabration than on some of the older THX DVD's.

Cardiff Giant11 01-17-02 12:52 PM

Avia for both audio and video.However, you really need a SPL meter to make the proper calibrations for sound. Anyhow if anyone needs a copy, I got mine on Half.com brand new for 20 bucks. There company that makes it often sells them on there.

DVD_O_Rama 01-17-02 02:15 PM

Originally posted by GMLSKIS

I have Avia and on my Sony XBR the THX Optimode calibration looks so much better for video. Personally I wish I never bought the Avia DVD. Planet of the Apes has a more refined calabration than on some of the older THX DVD's.

To each his own. Just because Avia is the 'correct' calibration, if you don't like it, then it's not worth the money.
As far as POTA having a better Optimode then older THX discs...I think that speaks volumes on the reliablility of their settings if they actually vary from disc to disc (which they do).

Trekaholic 01-17-02 09:30 PM

I have the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up which is geared toward novice to intermediate HT owners. I found the tweaks useful, and would recommend it to others of like experience.

GMLSKIS 01-18-02 03:10 AM

To each his own. Just because Avia is the 'correct' calibration, if you don't like it, then it's not worth the money.
As far as POTA having a better Optimode then older THX discs...I think that speaks volumes on the reliablility of their settings if they actually vary from disc to disc (which they do).

You misunderstood me in leading to your false conclusion about the varying of discs. Avia could vary too in your sumation. Planet of the Apes THX is a little more complex in detail that makes it easier to calibrate but not better than say Cast Away or T2 U.E. per say.

dgc 01-18-02 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Trekaholic
I have the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up which is geared toward novice to intermediate HT owners. I found the tweaks useful, and would recommend it to others of like experience.
Has anyone else used the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up? It's half the price of Avia and I'm wondering how it compares with respect to the calibration tools.

yippyKiyA 01-18-02 08:09 AM

I would say to just get some type of calibration,no matter what it is, because anything is better than the factory presets or "eyeballing" it.

Sockmonkey 01-18-02 09:22 AM

Originally posted by DodiN
I'm also interested in tuning the color, etc on my TV (wide screen HDTV-Mits) with out paying $400 for some guy to come out and it for me with specialized equipment.
Although it certainly is recommended to do the AVIA / VE calibrations yourself (color / brightness / contrast / sharp), the comparison to paying someone $400 (an ISF technician) to calibrate the set is apples to oranges.

The ISF techs handle much more difficult (and noticeable) adjustments like mechanical focus, grayscale, lens striping, etc, etc.

If you ask anyone who has had an ISF calibration, they will certainly tell you that it is worth the $, and provides results (as expected) over and above the standard AVIA / VE calibrations that you can do yourself.

Scott 01-18-02 11:42 AM

I rented Video Essentials from Netflix, and I found the menu stucture to be terrible. I then bought Avia, which works fine for me.

I wonder about DVD_O_Rama's comment that *The THX Optimode that is available on newer THX-approved discs is kind of a poor man's Avia or VE.* How much can the Optimode be? I paid less than $20 for Avia, and it was a new (not used).

DVD_O_Rama 01-18-02 01:14 PM

Originally posted by GMLSKIS

You misunderstood me in leading to your false conclusion about the varying of discs.

My false conclusion?? I made no 'conclusions' about anything, it's a documented fact that the THX Optimode settings are <b>incorrect</b> on some discs. I wish I had time to post some links right now, but I will do so later.

Avia could vary too in your sumation.

I wish I had a comment for this, but seeing as how there is only <b>one</b> Avia disc...there isn't anything to vary between, so I'm not really sure what your talking about.

Planet of the Apes THX is a <i>little more complex</i> in detail that makes it <i>easier</i> to calibrate but not better than say Cast Away or T2 U.E. per say.

:confused:

GMLSKIS 01-18-02 10:59 PM

:confused:

If you are so in love with the Avia disc you can buy my copy. For my Sony XBR it doesn't calabrate my television as good as any of the THX Optimode enhanced DVD's I have to choose from. I could show you the difference and you would be amazed. To each their own.