Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV receivers- Toshiba or Sony. NEED HELP FAST AND SOON

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-15-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

THE REASON WHY I NEED HELP FAST AND SOON IS BECAUSE I WANT TO GET THE HDTV WORKING ALREADY AND I AM GROWING IMPATIENT. SO ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS, THOUGHTS, OR WHAT NOTS ON EITHER OF THESE RECEIVER FORS HDTV.

TOSHIBA DST3000

OR

SONY HD100

WHOEVER HAS EITHER OF THEM PLEASE POST. I REALLY NEED YOUR GUYS HELP.
Old 01-16-02, 09:57 AM
Gomez

The Sony is very popular but I do not own an HD receiver yet. The Sony is customizable and integrates terrestrial and satellite channels into the same menu, plus can remember various settings for each channel which is nice. I will probably go for the Sony myself.

The RCA 100 is supposedly junk. No idea on the Tosh.

Look at www.dbsforums.com under HDTV hardware for more opinions on this stuff.

Old 01-17-02, 08:03 AM
Cool New Member

Re: HDTV receivers- Toshiba or Sony. NEED HELP FAST AND SOON

Originally posted by raven56706
THE REASON WHY I NEED HELP FAST AND SOON IS BECAUSE I WANT TO GET THE HDTV WORKING ALREADY AND I AM GROWING IMPATIENT. SO ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS, THOUGHTS, OR WHAT NOTS ON EITHER OF THESE RECEIVER FORS HDTV.

TOSHIBA DST3000

OR

SONY HD100

WHOEVER HAS EITHER OF THEM PLEASE POST. I REALLY NEED YOUR GUYS HELP.
I've had the Toshiba DST3000 for a year and it works great with an HDTV. I specially like the caller id function which gives you a message whenever the phone rings onscreen. The set-up was easy and will format your picture to either 4x3 or 16x9.

Ian B.
Old 01-17-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would check the AVSforums. I have the Proscan model of the RCA and have no problems at all.
Old 01-17-02, 01:18 PM

Yes, check the www.avsforum.com in the HDTV Hardware forum. What you'll find is that Sony is actually buying back the HD100 due to the volume of complaints. So if your choice is between the Sony and Tosh, then it's really not a choice - go with the Tosh.

You can also find feedback about some other STBs, like RCA, Panny and Samsung. The impression I've gotten is that no STB is perfect and most have at least some good qualities.

But, I'm holding off for now b/c in one of the CES threads a guy said that the next gen of STBs will run around $200 and be several steps ahead of the current gen. We should see these new STBs this spring.