Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does Sony still make single disc CD players?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-15-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For home audio with RCA outputs. Not portable CD walkman type or "boombox" style players.

But home component single-disc/tray CD players?

All I seem to see in the stores are those crappy multi-disc changers. Call me crazy, but I never saw the point to the multi-disc changers. If you can't get up out of your chair and change the disc every hour or so, then you're just too lazy to live.

Again: I don't want a 5+ disc changer. I just want a single disc Sony CD player.

Anyone have any suggestions where I might find one? (Aside from the iffy "used" ones on Ebay).
Old 01-15-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_12129.htm
Old 01-15-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brian: what's your take on that website? Are they reliable? I'd never heard of them before your posting of the link.
Old 01-15-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems strange to spend $120 on a cd player when you could buy a dvd player for that much or just a little bit more. Note also that the Sony cd player at Onecall has no remote.

I would either buy a decent used cd player for $50 or a dvd player (Pioneer and Panasonic have models that'll play cdrs, if that's a priority, that sell for $150 or less).

I realize that I'm butting in on a thread where you're asking about Sony cd players with wholely unrelated info. Sorry about that in advance.
Old 01-15-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Brian: what's your take on that website? Are they reliable? I'd never heard of them before your posting of the link.
I have purchased several things from them before and have gotten great service and have had no problems.

I do agree with Steve however that there are better values and units out there. I only presented one to show you that they still do.

IMHO, changers are great, they allow you to play one disc or more. Also a dvd player or a hybrid player such as dvd-audio or sacd might be an alternative.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Onecall is a very reliable dealer who usually has great prices. When dealing with them it usually makes sense to give them a phone call as well because they will almost always knock some more off of the price listed on their site. They are also authorized which is a big plus if you have warranty work. Another good site to check out is www.jandr.com who should have the same player at a competitive price and are authorized as well.

As for single disc models, other than the one already posted, if you want the best out there you are going to have to go with an ES model, which cost big bucks (>1000) of course as Sony is only doing single disc models on their ES reference players.

J