DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Ok, I'm moving, and need some advice about setup...

Old 01-14-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I'm moving, and need some advice about setup...

I had the perfect basement apartment living at home with my parents. I had concrete walls for soundproofing and I could turn it up as loud as I wanted with little or no reprecussions.

I'm moving into my own place this week, and realized a few things wouldn't work..

1)250W Polk Sub. Anyway I can keep this and NOT wake up all my neighbors? FWIW, the walls aren't exactly thick, and you can hear fairly well thru them.

2)Sony 555ES. Any thing(besides NIGHT mode) I can do to "tone down" a little w/o losing definition?

Thanks
Old 01-14-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best thing to do is make friends with your neighbors and let them know if you are too loud to come to you first before calling the office or the cops. There is not too much you can do about the bass because it is omnidirectional and goes through walls and the bass wave is developing in your neighbors living room anyway.

As far as your speakers you may want to try some sort of sound treatment on the wall right behind your speakers to absorb some sound.

Also be respectful of the time in which you watch movies. During the week I quiet things down areoud 8:30. Fridays are pretty much open and I really crank the system on Saturday during the day. I live in a townhouse with people on either side of me and I have been lucky, no complaints in 2 years.
Old 01-14-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See, that's the thing. I work 2nd shift, so my "up" hours are during the AM hours. I think I may just turn the sub off at night, and keep the volume at a low level. That SHOULD work. The good thing is...The speakers are against an OUTSIDE wall, and the only contact I actually have with another apartment and my living room is the celing.
Old 01-15-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My best advice is to follow what palebluedot says. Heavy bass will be heard in any apartments near yours, as the standing wave it creates penetrates and reverberates really well.

You're lucky you're on the ground floor. You can couple that sub to the floor and not worry as much about your neighbors. Ask me how much it sucks to be on the top floor and couple a sub to your floor which is also your neighbor's ceiling.

What I always did with my neighbors was introduce myself after I moved in. Immediately after the introduction, I always gave out my phone number and said "I really don't care about noise, if you want to throw a party or whatever, I've got no problems with it, no matter how loud it gets, so long as it's not a common problem. If it is, I'll call you before I get management or the police involved. I'd hope I could have the same respect from you. I don't typically make much noise, but every one in a while a movie might be loud or I might have friends over and not realize how loud I'm being. If you just call, I can take care of the problem then and be more cautious in the future."

Most people in apartments will realize that it's not like a house, and you will hear neighbors on occaision, and there's not much that can be done about that. Many will even tolerate excessive noise because there's times when they want to be able to do the same and not be disturbed.
Old 01-15-02, 03:13 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
See, that's the thing. I work 2nd shift, so my "up" hours are during the AM hours. I think I may just turn the sub off at night, and keep the volume at a low level. That SHOULD work. The good thing is...The speakers are against an OUTSIDE wall, and the only contact I actually have with another apartment and my living room is the celing.
I work at night, midnight to 8 AM so I know what you mean. I have come to the point where if I watch a movie in the evening or at night I just turn the sound down on the sub and watch the movie with the other 5 speakers (which emits very little bass). I can pretty much turn it up all the way without anybody hearing. I watch movies with the sound blaring in the mornings though during the week. Anytime after 9 AM is game for me, and I have not had any complaints from my neighbors. who have complained about my movie watching at night before I used to turn the sub down.

I live in an apartment and am on the ground floor, the only neighbors I have are directly above me and next door to me. The neighber that is next to me though is on the other side of the apartment away from my living room. Good luck.

P.S. My neighbors above me that have complained are a pain in the a$$ and I hate them. I never say hello when I see them. Making friend with your neighbors is a good idea, but they never gave me the chance.
Old 01-15-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, after looking around the apartment today, I got a few ideas. Thanks guys.

The sub is going to go in the corner which is directly below my upstair's neighbor's bathroom. I figure that's the safest place to be. All my neighbors work dayshift(YAY!), so AM hours are fair game for me....and even at night, as long as I keep things at a reasonable level, I think I should be OK.
Old 01-15-02, 11:55 AM
Gomez

Good luck!

In college I was kicked out of an apt due to this. OK, noise plus some other questionable activities but mostly noise. You're just going to have to make friends as best you can and try to keep it down. Subwoofers are not apartment-friendly at all.

I later moved into a mostly-college apt complex and it was much cooler with the neighbors. I even shook the pictures off the neighbor's walls once but the girls were really cool about it. 15" sub + 500 watts RMS + techno music does not make for stability in one's lease. Man, that system sure rocked though...

You might look into unhooking your sub and attaching bass shaker units to your couch instead. Better yet, get some roomates and rent a house.

Old 01-15-02, 02:19 PM

I realize it sacrifices some quality, but you might try headphones. Those $350 Sony virtual surrounds sound mighty tempting.

I frequently watch TiVo or DVDs after everyone else in my house goes to bed, and even the cheap headphones I'm using right now are "okay". Better that then nothing. (Besides, it sets a good example for kids.)

[Aside: Gomez - recommend some techno CD's. While I have a huge vinyl collection, I'm not looking to upgrade my turntable. I'd just like to have some techno CD's, and I don't know any names.]
Old 01-15-02, 03:37 PM
Gomez

Hmm, was a while ago I was really into techno but this will be a nice trip down memory lane. Following stuff not necessarily techno but all is electronica-driven.

Old faves:
- Kraftwerk (they started it all in the 70s and you still see their stuff get sampled, Computerworld is their best release)
- anything on the "Wax Trax" label
- Skinny Puppy (pretty hard stuff)
- anything on the "On-U Sound" label (heavy dub influence)
- Cetu Javu
- 808 State (pioneers in trance)

Recent notables:
- Chemical Brothers
- Sneaker Pimps (not really techno, but some cool electronica)
- Crystal Method
- A Guy Called Gerald (mind-numbing bass)
- Roger Miles
- Olive
- BT

Not at all techno but compelled to throw in:
- Sublime (my favorite band, all releases great)
- Pink Floyd's "Animals" (often forgotten release that is really trippy)

Can always peruse the selection at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...585243-4010110

Old 01-15-02, 05:08 PM

Great, that will give me something to start with.

My son taped one of his mixes for me, but it's only on one side of a cassette. I have no idea who is on it, but I like it.