Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which TV would you buy? and why?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-14-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I could use a little input. I am a poor college kid, paying my way through school, despite that however, I wish to purcase a new TV. (I've never owned my own.)

The short and long of it is I will have some "spare" (I use this term very lightly" income from selling back a bunch of books soon. If I do purchase a new TV I have narrowed my selection down to the following two units.

JVC 27" Model: AV-27230
and
Toshiba 27" Model: 27A41

So which of these twho would you purchase and why?

The unit will be used mostly for movies and video games, I rarely spend time watching TV except for the news.

Perhaps someone could clear something else up I was curious about. The JVC has a 3 line comb filter compared to the Toshiba's Digital one. Which one actually performs better? (I'm guessing the 3 line...) In addition does anyone know the line resolution on the toshiba? (The JVC is 600) I'm not sure if that really matter anyway for my needs.
I'm fairly well versed in tech lingo, but do suffer a bit when it comes to the TV world. Any insight you guys could offer would be much appreciated. Right now I'm leaning towards the toshiba.

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 01-14-02 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know it doesn't answer your question exactly (although out of those two I would go for the Toshiba) but I recent;y bought a Samsung flat screen from Best Buy for a little under $400 (sale + 10% off + stupid employees = big discounts). I can't link from the Samsung site because it will time out but the model # is TXL2791F, you can find it at http://www.samsungusa.com . I've read some very good reviews about this tv and as far as I can tell the picture quality is at least equal to a VVega.
Old 01-15-02, 06:31 AM

I was recently shopping for a 27" TV for the bedroom and actually bought both models (well actually the Toshiba 27A51). I think the Toshiba is a better choice. The Toshiba's screen is flatter than the JVC and results in less glare. Also, the JVC suffered from a rather loud humming noise (from the CRT I believe). The salesperson was well aware of the noise from the JVC when I returned it. In the end I had to return the Toshiba too because its remote also ran my Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD and it was a complete nightmare. I ended up getting the Panasonic CT-27D11 for under $300. The MSRP is $330. I wish I had bought that one in the beginning because I like it better than the other two. One last thing - make sure you you properly calibrate the TV with either the Avia DVD or the Video Essentials DVD. It makes a world of difference and is well worth the money spent on it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info. A friend of mine also suggested the Panasonic as well. I will begin looking at that unit as well. Anyone else have any useful input?

Thanks.