DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

coax to RCA

Old 01-14-02, 12:47 AM

coax to RCA

Hey everyone does anyone know if they make a video converter from COAX to RCA's. If so where can I get one?
Old 01-14-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you just need to change what type of connector is on the end of a cable, Radio Shack sells gold F-to-RCA adapters for about $3 each. If you need to actually convert the signal from RF, you need an RF demodulator. I'm sure Radio Shack carries these, too, I just don't know how much they cost.
Old 01-15-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An RF modulator, which will convert and antenna/cable type of signal to a composite video (rca) signal, will run you about $30.
Old 01-15-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like this

Convertor:

RF Modulator:
Old 01-15-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The adapter that jumbojp posted above is correct, but it's for female RCA-to-male coax. If you want male RCA-to-female coax, it would look the one I've posted.
Old 01-17-02, 11:03 AM

Question - it looks like the labels on the the RF converter pictured above inputs RCA, and outputs RF. Or will it work either way?
Old 01-17-02, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by buffotoad
Question - it looks like the labels on the the RF converter pictured above inputs RCA, and outputs RF. Or will it work either way?
Right. RCA inputs. RF output. I think that is the only way.
Old 01-17-02, 12:48 PM

RCA to S-Video Converters

I've just come across a site, www.svideo.com, that manufactures what they claim to be RCA to S-Video (and the reverse) converters as well as dual 75 ohm S-Video cables - all at pretty reasonable prices. I'm planning to try some of these. If anyone has experience with products from this site, your input would be most welcome.

fixed the link
- stevevt

Last edited by stevevt; 01-17-02 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: RCA to S-Video Converters

Originally posted by aardvarkmi
I've just come across a site, www.svideo.com, that manufactures what they claim to be RCA to S-Video (and the reverse) converters as well as dual 75 ohm S-Video cables - all at pretty reasonable prices. I'm planning to try some of these. If anyone has experience with products from this site, your input would be most welcome.
Your link isn't working, you need to get rid of the comma.

I would stay away from them!

About a month back the owner of the site thought it would be a good idea to spam one of the other sites I frequent(a computer site) with about 30 posts for his site in about 2 hours!

He "bumped" up threads that had been buried for over 6-8 months just to put a link to his site!

I checked out the site at that time and can tell you most of those cables they sell are cheapo OEM cables with an extremely high markup and are not worth 10% of what they sell them for.

They do offer a few connectors/convertors though that are original, but I can't comment on the quality considering the cheap components involved.

You would be better served if you could find something at www.radioshack.com or www.partsexpress.com

Last edited by jumbojp; 01-17-02 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by buffotoad
An RF modulator by definition only works going from RCA to coax. It takes a composite video signal and stereo audio signals, combines them, then modulates them into a radio frequency that can be carried by coax to the antenna input of the TV.

To go the other way, you need an RF demodulator. These are readily available at Radio Shack, Kmart and Wal-mart for about $30.
Old 01-17-02, 06:04 PM

Sort of along these lines. i have a general instruments digital cable converter box, w/o an s-video connection(at&t too cheap). the slot is there, but no connecter. Can you run one of those rca or composite to s-video converters as shown on the above site to send s-vid to my wega from the conv? it would make me happy, happy if it would work. there are 3 empty rca slots marked L&R audio out with 1 of the slots for the yellow vid. cable. Am I making any sense or am I talking out my arse. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get the best vid signal to my set. i already have a 12db amp on the cable line.
Old 01-18-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Wyatt
Sort of along these lines. i have a general instruments digital cable converter box, w/o an s-video connection(at&t too cheap). the slot is there, but no connecter. Can you run one of those rca or composite to s-video converters as shown on the above site to send s-vid to my wega from the conv? it would make me happy, happy if it would work. there are 3 empty rca slots marked L&R audio out with 1 of the slots for the yellow vid. cable. Am I making any sense or am I talking out my arse. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get the best vid signal to my set. i already have a 12db amp on the cable line.
You might be better off with the composite. The Wega has a pretty decent 3D Digital Comb Filter. A composite to S-Video converter would bypass the comb filter. I'm not convinced the converter is superior to the Wega's comb filter.
Old 01-21-02, 04:20 PM

Video Converters

For those who are interested, Radio Shack has just come out with several new converter boxes - a 4 input, 1 output ($59.95) and a 6 input, 2 output ($149.95) - that supposedly will allow you to switch automatically among composite and S-video signals. So, you could plug in composite video from VCRs and S-video from laserdisc and DVD players and send a single signal, either S-video or composite, to a monitor or other video device. This would be handy for systems with multiple VCRs and digital video players. Not cheap, but I haven't seen anything else near these prices that will convert signals both ways.

Neither converter will defeat Macrovision, so you could not tape from DVD to VHS - you would need another black box for that.