DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Unshielded Speaker Location

Old 01-12-02, 11:09 PM
Cool New Member

Unshielded Speaker Location

I am planning to purchase a 32" Wega TV. I currently have a 5.1 speaker set-up. My main right and left speakers are unshielded fullsize speakers with large woofers. How close can I get with my speakers without damaging the tube? With my current 27", they are located 24" from the TV. With the space restrictions I have, 2ft is just about the closest for a 27" TV. I have had this set-up for over 10 years, with no damage to my Sony XBR. With the 32" TV, this distance would be smaller. With the larger TV, is it just to close to risk?
Old 01-12-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think you should be fine with around 12" of space. Just move them in as far as you can without distorting the TV if it does then just simply move them away until the distortion doesn't occur.
Old 01-13-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The safe distance will vary depending on the magnets in your speakers. If you use the approach suggested above be sure to move the speakers toward and away from the TV slowly. If after you've moved the speakers to a safe distance the image is still distorted, you may have to degauss the TV. Lot's of newer TV's include this as a built in feature.
Old 01-13-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Wega will degauss every time you turn it on (hence the loud "clang" on startup. Regardless, you don't want to position your speakers too close to the TV or permanent damage will result.
I'd say move them out until it no longer distorts, and then just a little more (but 2' is probably going to be plenty, depending on your speakers)