DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I can't get PAN SCAN to work

Old 01-12-02, 08:14 PM

I can't get PAN SCAN to work

I have both a PS2 and a Sony DV-NS300 DVD player, but I can't get PAN SCAN to work on either of them. (I'm not greatly bothered by having the edges cut of the picture).

Both players are stuck on letterbox mode. On the PS2 I've tried stoping the DVD during play before entering the setup menu, but it doesn't seem to work. The other DVD player has PAN SCAN selected in the setup menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Is it possibly because the DVDs must support PAN SCAN in order for it to work?

Randall
Old 01-12-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm, yes they need to be pan and scam, I mean, scan versions of the film to have them displayed that way. If you really wanna be a weiner, you can just press the zoom key on your remote to eliminate those "black bars." Good luck.
Old 01-13-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I can't get PAN SCAN to work

Originally posted by Carnifex

Is it possibly because the DVDs must support PAN SCAN in order for it to work?
This is exactly the problem.

The dvd either needs to contain:
A) the P&S version of the film, or
B) the widescreen version of the film with P&S markers that tell your dvd player how to convert it

When you set your dvd player's screen setting to "4:3 Normal" (or "4:3 Standard", or "4:3 Pan & Scan") you're telling it to read and use these markers. However, very few disks have them. Far more dvds simply contain a fullscreen/P&S version of the film.

As far as not being "greatly bothered by having the edges cut of the picture," I would hope that the people who will chime in to tell you what you are missing have as much respect for your opinion as they will demand that you have for the vision of the cinematographer.

Legend:
Normal text = me speaking as forum member
Italic text = me speaking as moderator
Old 01-13-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can send me your PS2, and I'll send you my Toshiba 2200 (Dual Disk! what a deal!) and you won't have problems anymore

-pedagogue
Old 01-13-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carnifex, if the disc does not have a P&S transfer, you are going to be out of luck. Your best bet would be to rent or buy VHS for your film collection.

What made you get into DVD when the majority of films are in OAR?

J
Old 01-13-02, 07:04 PM
Gomez

You can "zoom" discs that do not support P&S but will have to live with the arbitrary section of the screen that zooms to fill your TV.

It is my hope that people will learn to use the "zoom" feature so those of us who prefer OAR widescreen can continue to find plenty of choices on the shelves (see my signature).

Old 01-13-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Master J
Carnifex, if the disc does not have a P&S transfer, you are going to be out of luck. Your best bet would be to rent or buy VHS for your film collection.

What made you get into DVD when the majority of films are in OAR?

J

I'm going to take this bit and try to (politely) run with it. DVD is a mainly OAR format. We fight long and hard every day to keep it this way. OAR stands for Original Aspect Ratio. It means that movies are kept in their proper aspect ratio that the director, cinematographer, etc, worked very hard to create the movie in. Randomly chopping off the sides just to fill a TV screen is pure arrogance and greed in my opinion, and hopefully it is a practice whose time has come. A television screen is a playback device. Sometimes the shape of the images played back do not precisely match the dimensions of the screen. This is not a problem, it is a solution.

Summing up, if you don't like it, leave. There are tons of VHS cassettes out there waiting for you, they will all fill your screen.

If you can come to realized the benefits of letterboxing, (on any size screen), then welcome.

Thank you.
Old 01-14-02, 05:27 PM

Ok, that's all well and good, I'm convinced.

On another part of the subject, are there any, or will there be any widescreen TVs in 2.35:1 format?
Old 01-14-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Carnifex
On another part of the subject, are there any, or will there be any widescreen TVs in 2.35:1 format?
No. The reason that 16:9 (1.78:1) was chosen is that it's an ideal mathematical compromise. If you're watching older 4:3 material or widescreen 2.35:1, you never see more than a small percentage of the screen go unused. That would not be the case if you were watching 1.33:1, 1.85:1 or 16:9 material on a 2.35:1 display.
Old 01-14-02, 08:25 PM

Currently there are widescreen movies on DVD and P&S movies, but I don't think there are any widescreen movies that are flagged for P&S, which is what the feature on the DVD player is meant for.

The pan & scan feature on the DVD player is supposed to do p&s on the fly, following the flags on the disc. This is part of the official DVD standard, but it's not something that has been used by the studios when they put a movie on DVD.
Old 01-15-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by steve f
Currently there are widescreen movies on DVD and P&S movies, but I don't think there are any widescreen movies that are flagged for P&S, which is what the feature on the DVD player is meant for.
I was recently alerted to the fact that the Boiler Room dvd has the widescreen version of the movie with P/S flags. There are probably a few others, but not a significant number.
Old 01-15-02, 11:43 PM

i just tried my boiler room dvd and it DID NOT have a pan and scan flag. I saw a thread mentioning that it might be pan and scan but turns out the owner had the dvd player on 16x9 mode so it was "unsqueezed".

Spoiler:
test
Old 01-18-02, 02:30 AM
Cool New Member

F.Y.I.-Sony players do not have the zoom feature.