DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for decent inexpensive surround sound set

Old 01-11-02, 09:43 AM

Looking for decent inexpensive surround sound set

I'm looking for a *decent* inexpensive 6 piece surround sound set. I have a 27" Zenith, a Pioneer D510s DTS Reciever, Pioneer c503 5 DVD Changer. I'd like to get some decent surround for my living room. But my budget is only @ $200-$280 and these speaker will be temporary. I'm hoping to upgrade the TV in a year and get better speakers then too.

I found this on amazon the sale is only for today.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...091425-5722453

Can I get some feedback on this or another set?
Old 01-11-02, 10:58 AM
Gomez

Tough budget there, same problem I had. Here's the route I took:

JBL SCS 135 5.1 with sub, factory refurb with warranty, $277.00 - http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...umber=SCS135-Z

Those are the same as I run at home until I can afford better. Pretty darn good for the money, and JBL is what many studios use to master audio with - but obviously more expensive units than these.

Old 01-11-02, 12:15 PM

What about this Cerwin-Vega set @ $350?

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...23#recommended
Old 01-11-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Decent" is in the Ear of the Beholder!

Sound choices lies with the individual listener. It's near impossible to recommend one speaker system from another, as we all have our own personal opinions, likes & dislikes.

But for the record, the most inexpensive I've ever seen (& or heard), was the AudioSource Home Theater Speaker System 380 w/powered sub for $99 at Costco, and look...if your on a budget, they really aren't all THAT bad...

1 - LS 300/C Video-Shielded Center Speaker
4 - LS 300 Satellite Speakers
1 - 8-inch, 100-watt powered subwoofer

(...you could always hide 'em behind some plants...it'll be OUR secret!)

That Edit King Gentleman

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-11-02 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-11-02, 06:57 PM

You might consider the Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV Home Theater Speaker System available at HiFi.com. You can also get their factory refurb'd sets that they sell on eBay. This can save you some additional $$ (This set looks like it is selling for about $120).
I picked up this set on eBay and it was as good as new - couldn't tell it was a refurb - and was a significant savings. CSW has a very liberal return policy and they sell the returns after refurbing on eBay.
I like the sound but I'm no audiophile. The set includes a small sub but I added a Sony SAW-40 sub-woofer for $130 (inetshopping.com) to increase the bass and I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by photo_guy; 01-11-02 at 07:01 PM.